Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite vessel

Options
  • 14-04-2013 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

The vessel on my glow worm is gone and the service guy said to get an 8 litre satellite vessel.

How much will it cost me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The vessel on my glow worm is gone and the service guy said to get an 8 litre satellite vessel.

It's an expansion vessel and I guess he means to fit it in the hot press cost could vary but should be in the region of €100-€150

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

rgii now state that the boiler vessel needs to be replaced as there should be no valves between boiler and vessel/vessel always open to system, so putting vessel in hot press goes against this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Why did the service guy not give a price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

gdavis wrote: »
    rgii now state that the boiler vessel needs to be replaced as there should be no valves between boiler and vessel/vessel always open to system, so putting vessel in hot press goes against this

Is this new?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Is this new?

It's in the tgd document that was sent out to all rgi.I was in baxi and they were advising that instead of replacing the one in the boiler they were saying to cut one in so who's right Rgii or the manufacturer

• Advertisement

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's in the tgd document that was sent out to all rgi.I was in baxi and they were advising that instead of replacing the one in the boiler they were saying to cut one in so who's right Rgii or the manufacturer

Legally RGII I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

While some are not so bad to get out, others are going be a total fxxkn nightmare involving at best flue removal at worse having to drop the whole boiler if its too close to the ceiling. Gonna be tough explaining to people about the higher costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

and then add in if its a ferroli,the feckin price of them is scandalous

Legally RGII I suppose

No, if it's not in IS813 or MI its not a reg but guidance/goodworking practise.

Where practical, expansion vessels for gas boilers should always be replaced same for same, where it's impractical or the part is unavailable it's would then be commen sense to fit a expansion vessel externally and label the isolation valve on the boiler that a external vessel is fitted.

gary71 wrote: »
    No, if it's not in IS813 or MI its not a reg but guidance/goodworking practise.

Where practical, expansion vessels for gas boilers should always be replaced same for same, where it's impractical or the part is unavailable it's would then be commen sense to fit a expansion vessel externally and label the isolation valve on the boiler that a external vessel is fitted.

True. Makes sense alright

• Advertisement

True. Makes sense alright

I have my moments:)

I remember in the Vokera mynute manual it stated that an external expansion vessel could be fitted and should be on the return as close to the boiler as possible.if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

I remember in the Vokera mynute manual it stated that an external expansion vessel could be fitted and should be on the return as close to the boiler as possible.if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Correct robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Most installations are very much under-sized with regard to expansion. Expansion vessel sizing is often forgotten. The total system volume must have a minimum of 11% expansion, therefore, in most cases the vessel within a gas boiler is often under-sized for the installation.
    Often they are only 7 or 8 litre vessels. An average 12 radiator system would have in excess of 140 litres & therefore should have an 18 litre vessel installed. Therefore, additional vessel should be installed external to the boiler with the means of being able to isolate & drain the vessel to check for air pressure annually.

Any idea when the new 813 is out and is it going to be more direct in some ways?

The issue with the isolation valve has always been there, some manufactures will give guidance on the positioning of secondary expansion vessels when the boilers isn't big enough for the system, i'v not seen a manufacture give guidance on repositioning a expansion vessel as they usually don't like to admit their boiler Vessel may fail:eek: it would certainly help if more manufactures gave guidance like Vokera.

is it going to be more direct in some ways?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I don't know when it's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

it was a bord gais service guy. I would have had to get someone else to fix it.
    He recommended getting a plumber as its cheaper.
    I have a gloworm which is 3 yrs old.

it was a bord gais service guy. I would have had to get someone else to fix it.
    He recommended getting a plumber as its cheaper.
    I have a gloworm which is 3 yrs old.

BG can charge a lot of money just for parts.

You may find it better to find a RGI who's happy to work on both the boiler and the pipework to give you a quote.

Advertisement