Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think some people are born into charmed lives?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I'm not talking about Lionel Messi or One Direction or the multitudes of other luminaries who are rewarded for their talents in the Capitalist system, but ordinary Joe and Josephine Soaps with normal lives and jobs.

These types of people I'm referring to are seemingly accepted everywhere they go.

A bit tricky to explain, but the sort of person who can ghost into a room full of strangers and because of their face, head shape, physiology, demeanor, body language etc, they won't be noticed.

The sort of person who is popular at school or simply has an effortless low profile that spares them any form of ridicule or bullying.

The types of people who can get promoted in the workplace without even being a major face or voice or talent in the office or factory, controversy or trouble avoids them in the same way they magnetically attach themselves to others.

The sort of people who seemingly 'get it right' all the time and are never embroiled in embarrassing or stupid situations.

They can effortlessly glide into relationships and knock out a couple of kids without seemingly having to put themselves 'out there', take risks or stick their heads above the parapet to get into this situation. It just happens organically.

Sure there's loads of other examples as well, but I find it a bit hard to believe that we can be our own Gods and make our own luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You're just describing people who are perceived as 'normal' by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You seem to be describing smart attractive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes and it includes all of us that are born in a relatively wealthy country like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

humbert wrote: »
    You seem to be describing smart attractive people.

Or just hard workers.

Isn't there some saying about ducks appearing to glide effortlessly on the water, but under water their feet are kicking furiously.

A decent manager should spot the good workers, whether they seek praise or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

A bit like that bloke in the Heineken ad coasting around the party and he gas a trick for everyone.
    I would love to be him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It takes a massive amount of effort to appear effortless.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yes and it includes all of us that are born in a relatively wealthy country like Ireland.

First world problems, eh?

I suppose it includes babies born to junkies who wheel them around the streets of Dublin while off their heads on the drugs. A charmed existence for the children, I'm sure.

What a load of poo.

First world problems, eh?

I suppose it includes babies born to junkies who wheel them around the streets of Dublin while off their heads on the drugs. A charmed existence for the children, I'm sure.

What a load of poo.
    Look there's no need to bring your childhood into the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Look there's no need to bring your childhood into the discussion.

So you're slagging off these poor kids now?

No doubt you were born with a gold spoon in your mouth.

Heartless as well as delusional.

So you're slagging off these poor kids now?

No doubt you were born with a gold spoon in your mouth.

Heartless as well as delusional.
    Yep. It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yes, some people are born with privileges others are not.

If you're born in the first world, you're pretty privileged no matter how **** things may look. If you're born in Somalia, you're gonna have a pretty tough time no matter wherever you manage to go. That's on a more global scale.

On a smaller scale, you have that pretty girl in class whom everyone wants to get to know and hang out with. She's nice to everyone because everyone is nice to her and everyone is nice to her because no one wants to be rude or harsh to the pretty girl. She seems to have everything, comes from a wealthy family, has great friends, life comfortable enough to not get troubled much by **** and intelligent enough to get decent grades as well.

While on the other hand you have the loner kid. The one who's kind of weird and creepy and hangs around by himself all the time. He dresses weird and is pretty socially awkward and often times embarrassing. Possibly suffering from low confidence and self esteem probably a result of neglected childhood or too many bad experiences during the harsh teenage years that have left many deep social scars. So there he sits in the corner with his laptop, listening to depressive music, probably depressed himself which may explain why he gets such poor grades.

This is simply the reality of the world. For some people life is pretty from the beginning all the way till the end. For some life begins off pretty but things go downhill midway. While for others life begins **** and remains so till the end and then there are those who suffer so much pain during their **** years that they decide to turn their life around and manage to go above and beyond everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I know someone in her 60's who considers herself to have a charmed life. Not because she is rich or anything but because her parents are still alive and healthy and so are all her children, siblings and resulting offspring. Probably not what you're getting at op but I guess charmed means more than being popular for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I kinda know what you're trying to say OP but it comes in different ways for different people IMO.

I'm far from being one of those 'center of attention' people who 'light up the room' on arrival. Nor am I lucky in the sense of winning competitions, draws, the lotto, etc. If I bought a ticket with every possible combination bar one, that would be the winning ticket. I never win anything.

However I'm very lucky in other ways. I lived life to the full in my twenties when I was living at home and earning great money. I wasn't in to drugs bar a bit of weed but was all about fast cars, fast women and plenty of drink - all at once. Thankfully I never wrote myself off or got a girl pregnant during that reckless period, which on reflection I consider damn lucky. These days I've calmed down somewhat and have found myself a beautiful gem of a wife, again I've been exceptionally lucky there.

Of course I would like more money, a bigger house, bigger and better cars, etc but looking back, yeah - I've been extremely lucky in life. Sometimes you need to take a step back and appreciate what you have. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Who wants to walk into a room & not be noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

beks101 wrote: »
    Who wants to walk into a room & not be noticed?

Spies, ninjas, assassins, and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've lived long enough to know few people get through their lives unscathed and you don't know everyone's full story. I've made wrong judgements about people throughout my life presuming they were the kinds of people OP outlined in his post only to find out they had their own tragedy or insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

It takes a massive amount of effort to appear effortless.

There's an Italian word for this - sprezzatura

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

No.

Anyone's life, besides your own, can only be seen by you as a highlight reel, you only get to see the good bits. You don't know absolutely everything they do or think, or what goes on in their own life, and you can't ever. Everyone has some sort of problems, so the sooner you stop comparing yourself to people, the happier you'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

if you are born in a country like ireland, that is like winning a lotto ticket on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Seachmall wrote: »
    Spies, ninjas, assassins, and so on.

That what I say... No one ever notices me because I'm a super secret ninja assassin spy! :cool::cool: :pac:

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

People sometimes perceive me in such a way. Believe me when I say I'm putting a lot of energy into keeping my **** together. A lot of people have never seen me have a bad day, many have never even seen me mildly angry. I'm usually upbeat 99% of the time and smiling.
    I've had some unreal moments on my own which would scare people. Punching the wall out of rage and banging my head off it.Think an adults tantrum after being given the lethal injection.

When someone kills themselves often people will say things like "he seemed fine" and someone else will then follow up by saying "it goes to show you that you never know what's going on in peoples head". The truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

When someone kills themselves often people will say things like "he seemed fine" and someone else will then follow up by saying "it goes to show you that you never know what's going on in peoples head". The truth.

The two guys I knew first hand who ended their lives were like that. Genuinely the last people in the world you'd imagine would do it. Happy-go-lucky, popular, out-going and liked. That's often the case. You just never know.

Advertisement