Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet lever problem

Options
  • 14-04-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭

One of the toilets does not flush properly. Sometimes it will flush on 1st go sometimes it can take a few flushes. The handle feels "looser" to push down than the other toilets.
    I already had to change the handle once as the plastic bearing kept coming loose and the thread had become worn. It's a twyford toilet if that makes any difference . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Could be the syphon that is dodgy and not the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Could be the syphon that is dodgy and not the handle.

What can I do to check this out ?

km79 wrote: »
    What can I do to check this out ?
    I suppose take off the cistern lid, then rather than using the handle to flush lift the hook that the handle is connected to this is known as the syphon, if you can lift the siphon and it flushes first time every time then its the handle. If you lift it and it wont flush first time then its prob the syphon or else the water level.

There is usually a line/mark on the syphon that the water level should fill to. If it doesnt fill to this then the syphon will struggle no matter what.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/toiletwontflush.htm

The water level in the syphon seems ok.
    I can't see any nuts in the cistern securing the syphon. It appears to be sealed into it ?

km79 wrote: »
    The water level in the syphon seems ok.
    I can't see any nuts in the cistern securing the syphon. It appears to be sealed into it ?
    The older ones are, you would need to remove the entire cistern from the bowl , but do as i suggested and pull the hook on top the syphon to flush it, if it doesnt flush first time every time then the syphon is probably in need of replacement

• Advertisement

The older ones are, you would need to remove the entire cistern from the bowl , but do as i suggested and pull the hook on top the syphon to flush it, if it doesnt flush first time every time then the syphon is probably in need of replacement
    Pulled the hook few times. Flushed each time.
    I noticed that the hook had become fairly badly bent !so I straightened it. Readjusted handle. Raised water level a bit.
    Seems to be working .......hopefully :D
    One thing about the handle that is annoying me though. There is a gap new tween handle and front of toilet. A few mm. Probably would be better if this could be secured but I'm not sure how !
    Maybe buy a better handle I supose

Advertisement