Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chevy To Make Spark E.V

Options
  • 14-04-2013 6:47pm

130 HP With 400 lb-ft torque,

400 lbs torque in this ?

2014-sparkev-model-overview-exterior-cnt-well-1-648x36-05.jpg

2014-sparkev-movel-overview-technology-cnt-well-1-584x437-01.jpg

That's more torque than a 3.0 L TDI Audi A4 , in the size of the spark :eek:

The Leaf is a lot of fun when you hit the throttle, I can only imaging having 400 lbs of torque instantly :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you seen the Zap Xebra?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you seen the Zap Xebra?

LOL just looked it up why ?

Seems to be loosely based on a Chinese car that was famously a rip of the Chevrolet matiz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

130 HP With 400 lb-ft torque,

400 lbs torque in this ?

That's more torque than a 3.0 L TDI Audi A4 , in the size of the spark :eek:

The Leaf is a lot of fun when you hit the throttle, I can only imaging having 400 lbs of torque instantly :D

Amount of torque on the engine output tells absolutely nothing unless you know the transmission rates.

130 HP tells much more about the engine.
    Assuming it will have this 400 lb*ft torque available through most of it's rev's range (like most electric motors), then it means that it's max revs will be very low, and therefore transmission ratio will have to be insanely high.

CiniO wrote: »
    Amount of torque on the engine output tells absolutely nothing unless you know the transmission rates.

130 HP tells much more about the engine.
    Assuming it will have this 400 lb*ft torque available through most of it's rev's range (like most electric motors), then it means that it's max revs will be very low, and therefore transmission ratio will have to be insanely high.

Well it doesn't exactly have a transmission, just a reducer gear like most electric cars.

I'd imagine the revs will be quiet high, hence the need for a reducer gear because electric motors are more efficient at high rpm.

You see they have 100 kw of power to play with and with a limit of 80 or so mph means they can have most of that power as torque.

It should be a very fun car indeed.

• Advertisement

Seems to be loosely based on a Chinese car that was famously a rip of the Chevrolet matiz

Could be a rip off al right ?

I just saw a petrol spark today funny enough I never noticed them before .

the chinese rip off is called the Chery QQ

You can even put the doors from the chery on the Chevy and they'll fit.

Well it doesn't exactly have a transmission, just a reducer gear like most electric cars.

I'd imagine the revs will be quiet high, hence the need for a reducer gear because electric motors are more efficient at high rpm.

If this engine really provided 400 lb*ft say at 5000rpm then it would have 380 HP.
    You said yourself it has 130BHP, so the highest RPM is can go to with such torque (400 lb*ft) would be 1700rpm.

If this engine provides 400 lb*ft torque above 1700rpm, then it must produce more than 130 HP.

It's that simple.
    You see they have 100 kw of power to play with and with a limit of 80 or so mph means they can have most of that power as torque.
    I don't get what you mean by that. How can you have power as torque.
    Those are two different measures for measuring two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It still looks like something my dog would leave behind in the garden. Cheap to run is all well and good but looking at that thing on a daily basis is enough of an incentive to keep buying fuel for almost anything else.

If this engine really provided 400 lb*ft say at 5000rpm then it would have 380 HP.
    You said yourself it has 130BHP, so the highest RPM is can go to with such torque (400 lb*ft) would be 1700rpm.

If this engine provides 400 lb*ft torque above 1700rpm, then it must produce more than 130 HP.

It's that simple.

Electric car motors usually spin much faster. Maybe 15,000 rpm. Hence the need for the reducer gear.

I don't get what you mean by that. How can you have power as torque.
    Those are two different measures for measuring two different things.

Horse power is a unit of power in KW so you can have a car with a crap load of torque or a higher top speed, with normal cars it's more complicated where you have a gearbox.

With electrics it's more simple, higher voltage means higher top speed and more current means torque and greater acceleration.

So 130 hp in an electric is completely different to that of and ICE.

So 97 kw of power is still 97 kw of power it never changes, just how you want that power ,speed or acceleration or bit of both.

• Advertisement

It still looks like something my dog would leave behind in the garden. Cheap to run is all well and good but looking at that thing on a daily basis is enough of an incentive to keep buying fuel for almost anything else.

Yeah it's ugly as hell but I bet you would have so much fun driving it that you couldn't care less.

Get a drive in a leaf and imaging twice the shove when you plant the throttle and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Electric car motors usually spin much faster. Maybe 15,000 rpm. Hence the need for the reducer gear.
    As I said it's impossible that this motor will spin at 15,000 rpm with 400lb*ft torque and deveop only 130BHP.
    If it spun that fast still keeping 400 lb*ft torque, then it's power would be 1142 HP.

Horse power is a unit of power in KW so you can have a car with a crap load of torque or a higher top speed, with normal cars it's more complicated where you have a gearbox.

With electrics it's more simple, higher voltage means higher top speed and more current means torque and greater acceleration.

So 130 hp in an electric is completely different to that of and ICE.

So 97 kw of power is still 97 kw of power it never changes, just how you want that power ,speed or acceleration or bit of both.

Sorry man, that all what you've written above proves you have very little knowledge about what actually power and torque is.

Yeah it's ugly as hell but I bet you would have so much fun driving it that you couldn't care less.

Get a drive in a leaf and imaging twice the shove when you plant the throttle and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Fun isn't just about acceleration.

It is on an American car though.

As I said it's impossible that this motor will spin at 15,000 rpm with 400lb*ft torque and deveop only 130BHP.
    If it spun that fast still keeping 400 lb*ft torque, then it's power would be 1142 HP.

Sorry man, that all what you've written above proves you have very little knowledge about what actually power and torque is.

An electric motors torque is a result of current not rpm.

It is on an American car though.

There's nothing American about that Korean heap.

There's nothing American about that Korean heap.

Weren't they Daewoo ?

True, but I bet you would be impressed all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

From the OP it looks a lot like a corsa.

Edit: just remember they are both GM

True, but I bet you would be impressed all the same.

But there's more to a car than that. Hence the reason hybrids and Evs up to now have missed the mark for me at least. They never seem to be in something that I'd actually want to/could buy.

• Advertisement

But there's more to a car than that. Hence the reason hybrids and Evs up to now have missed the mark for me at least. They never seem to be in something that I'd actually want to/could buy.

Ah yeah know what ye mean, but the Prius for me, while not the most exciting and I miss my old A4, the Prius is a great car and deserves recognition as being a great reliable car. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a workhorse and a very practical one at that.

But seriously, go take a drive in the Leaf and tell me you are not impressed.

ManMade wrote: »
    From the OP it looks a lot like a corsa.

Edit: just remember they are both GM

Hmmmm I thing I actually see some resemblance, but the Corsa is at least better looking.

That shape has been out a good while.
    Looks alright in the flesh for a small car.

An electric motors torque is a result of current not rpm.

Torque in rotary movement is equivalent to force in straight line movement.

Yes - in electric motor rotary movement of the crankshaft is a result of electromagnetic force produced by electricity.
    In combustion engine rotary movement of crankshaft is a result of movement of pistons which move due to fuel combustion.

Torque is just a measure how strong this rotary movement of crankshaft is.
    RPM is a measure of how fast this rotary movement is.

Eventually this movement is transmitted (through transmission) to the driving wheels.
    And now depending on transmission ratio, torque and rpm on the driving wheels change. If RPM on driving wheels will be higher than on crankshaft, then torque will be smaller, and opposite - if RPM is lower, then torque will be bigger.
    RPM on driving wheels can you how fast the car is going.
    Torque on driving wheels can shows how fast the car can accelerate.

Transmission ratio, as you said depends on the car. In standard petrol car there are usually 5 or 6 gears with various ratios. In electric vehicles there might be CVT with infinite amout of ratios or only one ratio.

But no matter what, RPM and torque on the engine crankshaft tell nothing about car speed or power.

Hope this gives you some idea what's it all about.

But seriously, go take a drive in the Leaf and tell me you are not impressed.

Day off tomorrow so might well do it for the craic.

Torque in rotary movement is equivalent to force in straight line movement.

Yes - in electric motor rotary movement of the crankshaft is a result of electromagnetic force produced by electricity.
    In combustion engine rotary movement of crankshaft is a result of movement of pistons which move due to fuel combustion.

Torque is just a measure how strong this rotary movement of crankshaft is.
    RPM is a measure of how fast this rotary movement is.

Eventually this movement is transmitted (through transmission) to the driving wheels.
    And now depending on transmission ratio, torque and rpm on the driving wheels change. If RPM on driving wheels will be higher than on crankshaft, then torque will be smaller, and opposite - if RPM is lower, then torque will be bigger.
    RPM on driving wheels can you how fast the car is going.
    Torque on driving wheels can shows how fast the car can accelerate.

Transmission ratio, as you said depends on the car. In standard petrol car there are usually 5 or 6 gears with various ratios. In electric vehicles there might be CVT with infinite amout of ratios or only one ratio.

But no matter what, RPM and torque on the engine crankshaft tell nothing about car speed or power.

Hope this gives you some idea what's it all about.

But we're talking electric drive and that's completely different form an ice.

With the electric motor in an e.v it spins fast for efficiency because of heat at low rpm with high current, so the need to spin the motor fast, so the reducer gear slows down the rpm and increases torque.

An electric motor produces max power at 0 rpm and a petrol engine at high rpm so comparing the 2 is not really useful.

For more acceleration in an e.v you always need to increase the current and the rpm for speed you increase the voltage.

An engine has to be spinning to create torque, and electric motor produces all it's torque from 0 rpm.

Day off tomorrow so might well do it for the craic.

yeah do, you won't regret it ! :D

yeah do, you won't regret it ! :D

We'll see. Need to find time between the to-do list that has been handed to me by herself first...

But we're talking electric drive and that's completely different form an ice.

With the electric motor in an e.v it spins fast for efficiency because of heat at low rpm with high current, so the need to spin the motor fast, so the reducer gear slows down the rpm and increases torque.

Where is the torque and RPM you stated calculated?
    On the exit from the electric motor, or after going through this reducing gear?
    Because on all fuel and diesel engines it's calculated on the engine, so I assumed, it's the same with electric motors.

An electric motor produces max power at 0 rpm
    This again proves you have no clue what you are talking about.
    Power of any engine at 0rpm will be 0. Nothing will change it.
    and a petrol engine at high rpm so comparing the 2 is not really useful.
    It is, as what you said above is not correct.
    Power is a measure of the rate at which work is performed. At 0 rpm, there is no work performed at all.
    For more acceleration in an e.v you always need to increase the current and the rpm for speed you increase the voltage.
    Still not sure what you mean by that.
    Voltage on batteries in EV is always the same.
    There surely is control system which can adjust electric motor speed and cause accelerating.
    An engine has to be spinning to create torque, and electric motor produces all it's torque from 0 rpm.

Combustion engine can't work below some RPM (usually around 700 - 800) and indeed its torque varies a lot through rpm range, while in electric motor torque is usually quite stable through all rpm range.
    But what is has to do with things we are talking about?

• Advertisement

We'll see. Need to find time between the to-do list that has been handed to me by herself first...

Lol.

IF you do get a chance just make sure eco mode is off.

Advertisement