Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbus to trim plane window seat size and widen others

Options
  • 14-04-2013 1:11pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22141525
    Airbus plans to reduce the size of its window seats to make room for wider ones in the aisles.
    Those requiring the larger seats would have to pay more for their flight.
    Aviation analyst Chris Yates discussed the trend for airlines to vary their charges based on passenger size.

Aeroplane manufacturers are going to make it easier for airlines to charge passengers by weight, makes sense I suppose even though some may feel it's unfair.

Bit ironic that the Analyst that the BBC found would definitely need the larger seat. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'd like to add that this is why I don't have a problem with the Ryanair proposition to have standing/just a place to lean your @ss against. Stick a bit of every type of seating/leaning place on the things (especially for shorter haul stuff).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think people of all sizes would prefer to pay a little extra for a larger seat on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Will you need to state your butt measurements when booking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

I'd like to add that this is why I don't have a problem with the Ryanair proposition to have standing/just a place to lean your @ss against. Stick a bit of every type of seating/leaning place on the things (especially for shorter haul stuff).

Ryanair was shot down by Boeing on that one, the 737 was designed for sitting not standing, so that's a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Isn't that really dangerous though, not to mention uncomfortable?

Just getting a normal sized seat shouldn't be a privilege on a flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think they should just fit a long counter down the plane and have stools up against it and serve "refreshments"...seatbelts are for wimps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

we will see an addition at the ryanair gates.
    Beside the carryon bag check will be the "goldielocks" test chairs, soon to be renamed the crying chairs, where people find out how society has found a new way to denegrate and humiliate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

They should just stack the passengers on pallets.

And sedate them till the flight is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Think about what you're saying for 10 seconds. There's never going to be standing on airplanes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They would but its cheaper to have self loading freight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i would be all for that, sedation and loadin in a coffin like tube,wakey wakey you have arrived!

I would pay extra for that!

i migh even consider visiting Australia then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brilliant idea. Tall people are squashed for headroom at the window already and tall fat people are a nightmare in a window seat. I'd say Easyjet put them up to it. :D

So its not just about fatties but also about height and headroom. It is discriminatory against short fat people as well as tall thin people who like to look out the window....BOTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

"Titter ye not" said Michael O' Leary, "I will stick ye in the cargo hold one day"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

that was a joke.....ryanair say that stuff all of the time just to get publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Brilliant idea. Tall people are squashed for headroom at the window already and tall fat people are a nightmare in a window seat. I'd say Easyjet put them up to it. :D

So its not just about fatties but also about height and headroom. It is discriminatory against short fat people as well as tall thin people who like to look out the window....BOTH.
    plus sick or disabled people who need wider seats not due to weight but due to needs/ issues from their impairment,example;use of a crelling harness or padding support added to the chair.

am all for this sedated and being stuck on pallets/tubes then woke up at the end idea,hell itd be a medical nightmare for them what with need for many anaesthetists and saline iv drips but we can dream.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So basically my seats are going to get smaller and they're going to make larger people pay more for what they took from me.

This will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

why do the fat fúckers get the aisle seats? I'll have to climb over them to get to the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

They announced that on April 1st.

Nate

we will see an addition at the ryanair gates.
    Beside the carryon bag check will be the "goldielocks" test chairs, soon to be renamed the crying chairs, where people find out how society has found a new way to denegrate and humiliate them.
    Yes, but with weigh scales attached and with the Kg replaced with a € symbol!

and for added humiliation, it'll be speech enabled. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

They should have sample seats at check-in to see if the fatties trying to save some cash can actually fit into the window seats. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Don't see the big issue with the upright seats. Cabin crew are constantly walking up and down the aisle trying to sell us crap even when the pilot has turned on the seatbelt sign. I don't see how cabin crew are naturally better talented at balancing than myself. Because you wear a blue or orange uniform doesn't mean you have graduated from the moscow state ballet and are therefore better able to maintain your footing during turbulence. If it's cheaper for short hops, I don't mind standing. If you've been on a Dublin bus during rush hour, then I think it's far more dangerous...also because of the reluctance to hold the germ infested handrails.

Arpa wrote: »
    Don't see the big issue with the upright seats. Cabin crew are constantly walking up and down the aisle trying to sell us crap even when the pilot has turned on the seatbelt sign. I don't see how cabin crew are naturally better talented at balancing than myself. Because you wear a blue or orange uniform doesn't mean you have graduated from the moscow state ballet and are therefore better able to maintain your footing during turbulence. If it's cheaper for short hops, I don't mind standing. If you've been on a Dublin bus during rush hour, then I think it's far more dangerous...also because of the reluctance to hold the germ infested handrails.

Almost laughed at this one..

They don't walk around during turbulence to sell you crap. If there's turbulence they know and they'll be strapped in unless they're doing something to ensure passenger safety. They walk around when the seat belt sign is on only when they know it's safe. And what if it's not just turbulence? What if there's an accident?

Trust me, you'll wanna be well strapped into a seat for one of these

The standing tickets were an April fool's joke, even Ryanair know that will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Snob :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Scruffles wrote: »
    plus sick or disabled people who need wider seats not due to weight but due to needs/ issues from their impairment,example;use of a crelling harness or padding support added to the chair.

am all for this sedated and being stuck on pallets/tubes then woke up at the end idea,hell itd be a medical nightmare for them what with need for many anaesthetists and saline iv drips but we can dream.

yeah I can only imagine the team of people and equipment needed to give out a couple of vallium tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Almost laughed at this one..

They don't walk around during turbulence to sell you crap. If there's turbulence they know and they'll be strapped in unless they're doing something to ensure passenger safety. They walk around when the seat belt sign is on only when they know it's safe. And what if it's not just turbulence? What if there's an accident?

Trust me, you'll wanna be well strapped into a seat for one of these

The standing tickets were an April fool's joke, even Ryanair know that will never happen

Nah man, seriously, don't know when the last time you were on a Ryanair flight. Those feckers walk around no matter. Selling me scratch cards on commission far outweighs their personal safety as far as they are concerned.

I know you found a youtube video of a plane crash and well done but the reality is most flights that originate/terminate in DUB with Ryanair do not adhere to these rules. Cabin crew in so far as I have seen, are all too willing to sell me whatever they can no matter the turbulence factor. The problem with talking about anything about airlines and safety is that some people have played flight simulator a little and feel they are experts on airline safety. It's not the case. So you pressed F4 on your keyboard once but you are not the authoritative figure on what all cabin crew worldwide do whilst in the air.

If I nearly made you laugh then that's good, because it is laughable. I'm not just scaremongering, or trying to bash Ryanair but this happens...daily.

Nah man, seriously, don't know when the last time you were on a Ryanair flight. Those feckers walk around no matter. Selling me scratch cards on commission far outweighs their personal safety as far as they are concerned.

I know you found a youtube video of a plane crash and well done but the reality is most flights that originate/terminate in DUB with Ryanair do not adhere to these rules. Cabin crew in so far as I have seen, are all too willing to sell me whatever they can no matter the turbulence factor. The problem with talking about anything about airlines and safety is that some people have played flight simulator a little and feel they are experts on airline safety. It's not the case. So you pressed F4 on your keyboard once but you are not the authoritative figure on what all cabin crew worldwide do whilst in the air.

If I nearly made you laugh then that's good, because it is laughable. I'm not just scaremongering, or trying to bash Ryanair but this happens...daily.

Oh god don't tell me you're at it again! IIRC you almost got banned for that in Aviation and Aircraft a few years ago when I was lurkin those areas or am I totally thinking of the wrong person?

I'll admit that cabin crew in low lost carriers are under a huge amount of pressure etc and may be overdoing it with their walking around in flight and I think the issue should be addressed rather than letting passengers stand on flights for less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any mention of standing on planes is almost certainly a publicity stunt and should be ignored as such

Airlines could sell seats by width and by legroom - this determins where you sit
    narrower seats would be at front and back where fuselage narrows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_packing_problem

TBH the optimal solution would be to put people in a medically induced coma and stack them like logs. Saves a lot of weight for seats and windows all that other carp the selfish bastards usually insist on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Best suggestion.

A bit like the old slave ships you mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Yes, but with weigh scales attached and with the Kg replaced with a € symbol!

and for added humiliation, it'll be speech enabled. :D

And linked to the Airport Intercom system.

Advertisement