Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pampas grass

Options
  • 14-04-2013 1:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭

Want to get rid if a large pampas grass from my front garden. Have bought a few gallons of petrol with a view to burning it out first then digging remains. Would this smoke much? To the point neighbours would notice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Loweface

Don't use petrol. It is far too flamable / borderline explosive...

Kill the above ground greenery with roundup and cut it right back to the ground. If you can dig up any of the roots good. If you can't dig it up, two options are to cover with heavy plastic and gravel/mulch or to keep cutting new growth untill it eventually dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Bulky,

Few gallons of petrol? Are you planning on burning down your road? Of course your neighbours will notice apart from it being stupid and dangerous, pampas would burn just by lighting the dry bits.

Like loweface says, roundup then dig, best plan all round.

M.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Bulky Boy

Loweface wrote: »
    Don't use petrol. It is far too flamable / borderline explosive...

Kill the above ground greenery with roundup and cut it right back to the ground. If you can dig up any of the roots good. If you can't dig it up, two options are to cover with heavy plastic and gravel/mulch or to keep cutting new growth untill it eventually dies.

I don't really want to wait days for poison to work. Would like to get this all done in one afternoon

Funny how people want things done instantly nowdays, sometimes bulky you just have to wait.

I'll be keepng an eye on the news lloking for someone who has been admitted to hospital with second degree burns and the whole street on fire.

You can't just go around throwing petrol at things.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Funny how people want things done instantly nowdays, sometimes bulky you just have to wait.

I'll be keepng an eye on the news lloking for someone who has been admitted to hospital with second degree burns and the whole street on fire.

You can't just go around throwing petrol at things.

Not just going to throw it on. I will soak it properly and then throw a light on it from a distance. This will minimise weight of what's left as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Loweface

An old wood saw straight accross the base would be quicker than petrol.

Burning the above ground will not kill what is in the ground. It will grow back.

In fact the best way to rejuvenate an old pampas grass IS to set fire to it, I have done many over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In fact the best way to rejuvenate an old pampas grass IS to set fire to it, I have done many over the years.

Very true not just for pampas but practically all grasses.

OP burning would be dangerous and you could end up in trouble with neighbours/authorities etc. Big Pampas are difficult to extract entirely which is essential otherwise it will grow back. Manual digging is possible but hard work, and the other alternative is to remove by mechanical digger.

Keep you eyes open for anyone using a digger in the vicinty and have it removed for the price of a few pints and your back still in one piece!;)

I will dig it out once the fire is out

Ok, carry on, but probably best not to bother asking questions in the first place if you aren't going to at least consider advice.

be aware that if the neighbours object to you burning a call out of the fire brigade costs a lot!

• Advertisement

Ok, carry on, but probably best not to bother asking questions in the first place if you aren't going to at least consider advice.

be aware that if the neighbours object to you burning a call out of the fire brigade costs a lot!
    My question about smoke generation wasnt answered

people can see flame too, it is generally an orangey colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

we took out a large pampas in an afternoon - cut back the top till you can get near it, then undermine with a pick and spade. Hard work but not impossible as it is quite shallow rooted. Burning the top will not make any difference to the effort required to remove the root.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bulky Boy wrote: »
    My question about smoke generation wasnt answered

Yes it will smoke , it will smoke allot.
    Possibly enough to worry someone if you live in a build up area. Someone could call the fire brigade.

And diesel is a better safer propellant for a fire. It burns hotter and longer, no evaporation, no fumes to explode. If you are intent on burning it, get a galon of diesel. If your going ahead with petrol cam you have someone video it for us :)

Yeah, video evidence for the inquest is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm in the process of cutting down my pampas this afternoon. I usually trim it back every year. This year the core is rotten and wet. In fact it's like hummus.
    I'm now in a quandary what to do with it. It's in a small from garden and I'm tackling it with secateurs. I'm also hoping to give a bit of it to a lady who wants one and I've got some stems with a bit of root. If I pot it up will it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm in the process of cutting down my pampas this afternoon. I usually trim it back every year. This year the core is rotten and wet. In fact it's like hummus.
    I'm now in a quandary what to do with it. It's in a small from garden and I'm tackling it with secateurs. I'm also hoping to give a bit of it to a lady who wants one and I've got some stems with a bit of root. If I pot it up will it take?
    Should do, its pretty tough stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Hilly Billy

Spraying with petrol and burning off is a good organic way of getting rid of unwanted plants and trees. However you do need to be careful and have appropriate fire retardants close by

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Spraying with petrol and burning off is a good organic way of getting rid of unwanted plants and trees. However you do need to be careful and have appropriate fire retardants close by

A peculiar interpretation of 'organic methods'. :confused:
    Reminds of those bloody farmers who believe they're doing good starting gorse fires!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

What is the best way to remove this plague of a plant? Not sure I'd choose petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

See the beginning of the thread, dig it up!

Advertisement