Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mythology

Options
  • 14-04-2013 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Do you like Mythology or Legends about Gods and heroes etc
    References to creation stories such as the Giant Turtle,ancient Greek legends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Geomy wrote: »
    Do you like Mythology or Legends about Gods and heroes etc
    References to creation stories such as the Giant Turtle,ancient Greek legends

And before it kicks off I know ye don't believe in any of it :)
    They are only stories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

No. I do like The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings though. Way better fairy tales IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I do actually. Mythologies are generally good stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My favourite myth is that the Master of the Universe sent a version of himself to Earth to save his favourite tribe only to unleash the Nazis on them 2000 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just read the new Cú Chulainn comic. It's not bad on the auld mythology at all, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Greek mythology is cool, always loved movies like Jason And The Argonauts and Clash Of The Titans as a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

greek and indian yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

They make for cool video games ...

God_of_War_2_Marketing_02_by_andyparkart.jpg

I wonder when we will get a video game based on the Bible that isn't just a silly Christian learning tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mythology becomes mythology by dint of being a cracking story. Beowulf, The Odyssey, the adventures of the Norse gods, they're bloody good yarns. Christianity is an interesting story too, although it's been doing its damndest to edit out the interesting bits with the blood and sex and death, if that continues it won't last much longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christianity is like 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, it's so overplayed it's a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Zombrex wrote: »

<snip>

I wonder when we will get a video game based on the Bible that isn't just a silly Christian learning tool.

Nah, better to get a video game based off Cúchulainn. He was the original hero for slaying thousands of mooks with one hand tied behind his back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That picture is really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Zombrex wrote: »

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/237/4/8/God_of_War_2_Marketing_02_by_andyparkart.jpg

Never played the God of War games. Is that a screenshot or just concept art?:)

Man loses wife/kids, goes nuts, carves clichéd bloody path to vengeance by killing/becoming the god of war, forgets to stop there and becomes a complete douchebag for no reason. That's about the size of the series. Oh, and the combat was good.

I bet baldurs gate was better :D
    Best scripting ever in ToB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    I bet baldurs gate was better :D
    Best scripting ever in ToB

Never played Baldur's gate either.:o
    Actually, have less familiarity with that than GOW. At least I've seen a video review of GOW.

Jernal wrote: »
    Never played Baldur's gate either.:o
    Actually, have less familiarity with that than GOW. At least I've seen a video review of GOW.

:eek:
    Play BG2 and the addon ToB after
    Or skip straight to ToB
    very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Love myths and gods and all that. Reading an old book of irish myths with my son at the moment and loving it. Am not enjoying the 'Christianisation' of the old Irish stories tho, very irritating and would love a non-Christian version of say the children of lir.
    For me It is a straight road from myths and stories to rationality. The more you read, the more you know, the more you know the more places you'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

And before it kicks off I know ye don't believe in any of it :)
    They are only stories...

That's not very wise. Since myth contains truth. Mythology, is: unconscious instinctive philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I like the myth of how Jesus was the Son of God but simultaneously part of a trinity. I especially like the part when he resurrects from a tomb.

• Advertisement

vronki wrote: »
    That's not very wise. Since myth contains truth. Mythology, is: unconscious instinctive philosophy.

I didn't ask you to judge my OP

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jernal wrote: »
    Never played the God of War games. Is that a screenshot or just concept art?:)

Concept art, its from the first boss battle in the 2nd game, some epic, epic moments in those games:

I didn't ask you to judge my OP

I was pointing out that there are philosophical truths as well; philosophical proofs. So to disregard something because it may not be literally true is unwise.

I was pointing out that there are philosophical truths as well; philosophical proofs. So to disregard something because it may not be literally true is unwise.

I didn't disregard anything,this is the A+A forum most here don't believe in Gods and Demons etc

Are you referring to the meaning of the mythology,or the effect the stories had or still have on people,rather than whether it happened or not ?

I didn't disregard anything,this is the A+A forum most here don't believe in Gods and Demons etc

Are you referring to the meaning of the mythology,or the effect the stories had or still have on people,rather than whether it happened or not ?

There is no doubt that myth never happened. That's why it's called myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I do like some of mythology stories like the Greek, Norse or Irish stuff.

They made for some cracking movies like Jason & The Argonauts or Clash Of The Titans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

One of the things that characterises myth is that the historical truth of the events narrated is not the point.

Consider the well-known myth of George Washington and the cherry true. It is, in fact, very unlikely that the child George Washington ever cut down a cherry tree in defiance of his father’s orders and, if he did, who would care now anyway? Even if he hadn’t cut it down, the bloody tree would be long dead by now anyway.

This story was invented, and has been told and retold, not because of any concern about cherry trees but because it encapsulates and propagates views which Americans have of themselves and their national characteristics - independence, autonomy, forthrightness, etc. George Washington, the father of his country, stands for the American national character, and those who tell this story are making claims about America and the American people. That’s what make the story mythic.

As a myth, it works equally well whether Washington ever cut down the tree or not. That’s not really the point.

In fact, true stories (or more-or-less true stories) can and do serve as myths. I live in Australia these days; stories about Anzac Cove and what happened there play a significant role in articulating and communicating Australians’ self-understanding and their understanding of Australia’s place in the world. I grew up in Ireland with a particular understanding of what had happened in 1916-22; same deal.

Having said that historical truth can be employed in mythic stories, they are frequently told in a way which signals pretty clearly that they are not primarily narrations of events which occurred. They have an epic scale, they have improbably heroic or villainous characters, they deal with events which no human could possibly know of or recall, like wars between the gods, or revolts in heaven, or the creation of the cosmos in seven days, etc, etc. Often they are explicitly situated within dreams or visions (e.g. the Revelation of St. John), or situated in a meta-story, e.g. a cycle of stories narrated by the same character.

We like these literary devices. They give us freedom to be creative (and entertaining!) in making up stories which have serious things to say, without being about serious facts. The modern genre of myth/fantasy writing makes extensive use of them, and they have huge appeal to us because we come from cultures which have employed myth pretty much since before the beginning of recorded history, and that disposes us to pay attention to stories which are recognisably mythic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Nah, better to get a video game based off Cúchulainn. He was the original hero for slaying thousands of mooks with one hand tied behind his back.

http://kuthegame.com/about/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Since myth contains truth. Mythology, is: unconscious instinctive philosophy.
    Some myth can contain that, but the older definitions of myth (aka mythos) exist largely in contradistinction to Logos.

Broadly speaking -- and bearing in mind that the definitions have moved about according to the whim of the time and the movement -- "mythos" denotes ideas expressed, for ease of understanding, in story-form, without any evidential basis, without much, if any, logical reasoning and so on. Logos, on the other hand, is denotes ideas which exist within a rational framework, which can be evidentially-derived, and which, generally, take far more work to understand than mythos does.

• Advertisement

The myth of Washington doesn't like to go into how he drank, gambled and owned slaves. Doesn't make for such a good story.

Advertisement