Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon or Hyundai i30 or what?

Options
  • 13-04-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Ive been looking around and want a hatchback. I want a car that's nippy around town but good on the motorway as well. I only do around 8000-10000k a year. So I'm ok with petrol or diesel. I've test drove a few and I like the i30 and the new seat leon. What are your opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We're talking brand new car here?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

With your mileage you should defiantly get a petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

With your mileage you should defiantly get a petrol car.

I think those "mileage to justyfy diesel" chats were very relevant when actually diesel cars were more expensive to purchase (as manufacturing cost is greater) and more expensive to tax.

Then there was something kinda like border mileage above which it was actually cheaper to go diesel.

Nowadays in Ireland though, diesels are either cheaper (due to taxation) and cheaper to tax (in most cases). They also depreciate less.

So only reason to justify petrol are short trips really, as this is what diesel's are definitely not designed for.

OP might be doing only 10k per year, but if they are 500km trips every forthnight to the other end of the country, then diesel will do very well.
    If it's driving around town by 2 or 3km per journey, definitely petrol (or hybrid) is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭black123

I am happy with petrol or diesel. I am more interested in value for money, resale etc. Looking at new cars ex demos anything with a decent warranty of 3 years plus.

The Leon is actually cheaper but we did strike a deal with Hyundai with my own car that will make them both the same price. Both 1.6 with the higher spec. Leon is definitely a better drive but the Hyundai I think is better looking and might resell better. Most people don't realize that seat is VW for resale

• Advertisement

black123 wrote: »
    The Leon is actually cheaper but we did strike a deal with Hyundai with my own car that will make them both the same price. Both 1.6 with the higher spec. Leon is definitely a better drive but the Hyundai I think is better looking and might resell better. Most people don't realize that seat is VW for resale

A focus is also a consideration

Advertisement