Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 x 4 post... possible alternative way??

Options
  • 13-04-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have been thinking about using 70 or even 100mm screws with pocket holes on all 4 sides to attach 900mm tall 4x4 posts to a decking to make up a hand rail.

I know it wouldn't be the strongest method in the world but the hand rail is going to have several 90 degree turns in it thus adding a bit of extra strength as these parts will be self supporting, also on two out of four sides there is a fence which I can also fix to.

Has anyone used pocket holes for such a thing?? I know bolts would be the most ideal of course but also add a LOT more time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i presume its just ordinary deal you would be using and to this extent i reckon the hold wouldnt be there.There are specific galvanised brackets for such. A bit unsightly though.
    I reckon the pockets would hold a small bit of water too. Mortice and tennon in the rails and drill and plug with a few 6" deck screws, should give enough support especially if its your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

1chippy wrote: »
    i presume its just ordinary deal you would be using and to this extent i reckon the hold wouldnt be there.There are specific galvanised brackets for such. A bit unsightly though.
    I reckon the pockets would hold a small bit of water too. Mortice and tennon in the rails and drill and plug with a few 6" deck screws, should give enough support especially if its your own place.

I think I am going to go with a mixture after a long hard thought... The corners are getting bolted and the middle ones pocket holed and plugged as I will be using a full length of timber for the top rails so unless someone really kicks the middle posts hard at the base, I can't see it budging well I hope not anyway.

Advertisement