Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wainscoting / Pannelling

Options
  • 13-04-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Howdy,
    We are planning on putting up panelling in hall, stairs and landing as per image

Have a few questions ye might be able to help me with

1. We want a clean edge finish with no beading, can we get MDF in 75/100 mm wide lengths that are finished or will we have to use timber

2. Where is the best place to get the wide trim needed to finish the top edge

3. Do we just use some beading to finish the panels into the existing architrave
    (it's standard 15mm)

4. What's the best way to disguise the joins, decorators caulk never seams to give a clean finish when painted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have done that quite a few times on staircases and hallways.
    A poplar beading rebated over the edge of the MDF gives a great finish.
    If you don't want the beading, get the framing done in poplar, good finish and easy to paint.
    Any Joinery will be able to machine trim, or any required mouldings for you.
    Poplar finishes very well, a small sanding of the joints and they won't be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks Galwayrush,

Had'nt thought of using poplar for the framing, got my kitchen doors made in poplar and it paints up brilliantly. Do you know how it compares price wise with MDF and where I would source it.

Brooks will definitely have it, Not sure what part of the country you are located, but it's reasonably priced,in the rough approx 17-18 euro plus VAT per cubic foot, eg, 36 ft of 4x1 makes a full cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks for that :) Do brooks carry trim deep enough to finish the top if we use MDF sheets on the walls. Do you use a bead on the floor or just leave it ?

Sorry for all the questions but most chippies that I work with have not done any panelling :D

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Thanks for that :) Do brooks carry trim deep enough to finish the top if we use MDF sheets on the walls. Do you use a bead on the floor or just leave it ?

Sorry for all the questions but most chippies that I work with have not done any panelling :D

I think they have a decent selection of trim/ mouldings, we usually machine our own.
    I'd recommend going to a local Joinery and have them custom made, should be reasonable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yellow poplar is available in the JP Corry and Chadwick outlets. You could do it all in mdf but you need a saw to mill the straight lengths and a router table to mill the top rail.You will need a good technique to screw it to the wall and cover the screw heads ?

Advertisement