Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started 50 mile / 1 hour 20 commute

Options
  • 13-04-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have started the above commute earlier this week . Finding it tought to get in to and trying to take care of myself as much as possible.combatting tiredness seems to be the niggest issue during driving periods which seems to zap vitality.
    From talking tonothers who do it ot seems to be a routine one needs to adjust to over a few weeks.

Hoping for some advice from others who make it work or made changes to ease the stress of the longer week.

Its from oranmore galway to castlebar in mayo.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

simple .. go to bed at a reasonable time, have breakfast before you leave and leave in plenty of time so that should you get delayed by an accident, poor driving conditions you won't have to take chances to get to work on time. Always have a pack of almonds or other nuts in the car, so if you do feel peckish you won't stop at service stations and eat crap ... you'd be suprised how quick the weight would pile on from snacking every time you get diesel, feel like a nibble on a long commute

50 mile isn't all that much, I do it every day and once you follow the simple advice above you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

whippet wrote: »
    simple .. go to bed at a reasonable time, have breakfast before you leave and leave in plenty of time so that should you get delayed by an accident, poor driving conditions you won't have to take chances to get to work on time. Always have a pack of almonds or other nuts in the car, so if you do feel peckish you won't stop at service stations and eat crap ... you'd be suprised how quick the weight would pile on from snacking every time you get diesel, feel like a nibble on a long commute

50 mile isn't all that much, I do it every day and once you follow the simple advice above you'll be fine.

great stuff, so you do 50 miles to work and the same back aswell ya do? i would imagine it just takes a few weeks to get in to.cheers for the snacl advice. will do. thermos of soup would be a good idea also.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

I do 400km a day 5 days a week, and thats in work! :eek: Just take it handy OP! Theres plenty of nuts out there on our roads who shouldn't be even cycling a bike never mind driving. Get a thermal mug, full of coffee, and a good talk radio station. Your radio will be your best friend ;). Just take it handy and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I was doing up to recent 120 miles a day as was stated go to bed at a reasonable time for me that was between 10-11 most nights as i was up at 6.15. as stated have a nice breakfast i use to have a few weetabix and bit of fruit and a small carton of orange juice it really woke me up. just be carefull on the roads and if you feel tired pull in. i drove for one month 300 miles a day 5 days a week now that was tough.:D all the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What are you working at? If you're doing an 8 hour work day, then 2 or 3 hours commute is fine. If you're going to be doing 12 hour shifts, try and find someone to share the driving with, even part of it. That'll be 15 or 16 hours per day that you'll be on full alert for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

i was doing a 9 hour day with 5-6 hour driving depending on traffic in galway quite tough:D as above share with someone if you can:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

whippet wrote: »
    Always have a pack of almonds or other nuts in the car......

And in case you forget !
    Theres plenty of nuts out there on our roads......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

cheers for all tge replies guys.

it is an 8 hour day so it's not too bad. 8 hours sleep is a must alright. I am lucky that I can take a breather when I get to work. will be challenging when tge evenings draw in in oct or so I would imagine.

its oranmore to castlebar. so 1.20 each way. not hitting the traffic in the city thank god.

cheers again

Advertisement