Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus options from Dublin City Centre to Dublin Airport.

Options
  • 13-04-2013 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am moving to Dublin next month to work in the airport. I would like to stay downtown, most probably in Dublin 1. I plan to rely on the bus like airlink and aircoach to go to work. Do you know if those buses are reliable enough to avoid buying a car?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

they're reliable alright but a bit expensive for a daily commute. somebody more knowledgeable may be able to point you in the direction of a "normal" bus that goes along a similar route. i'm not sure how easy the dublin bus web site is to navigate

edit: a quick search has thrown up the number 16 bus as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

cassegrain wrote: »
    I am moving to Dublin next month to work in the airport. I would like to stay downtown, most probably in Dublin 1. I plan to rely on the bus like airlink and aircoach to go to work. Do you know if those buses are reliable enough to avoid buying a car?

thanks

The 41 is the best bus for you. Its goes from lower abbey st. In the city centre. Its route brings you into the airport right outside the terminal. Its every 20mins so its a decent service. It will cost you 2.40 for the fare. If you are stuck there is also the 41c and the 33 which drives past the airport leaving you with a 10 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

why live in Dublin 1? is it purely to live in the city centre?
    Try and get a place around Drumcondra. You're only 5 min bus journey for o'connell street. Don't get a place around Croke Park. You might get pissed off on match days.
    And by a bike. Dublin isn't all that big. In the morning it;s generally uphill. But then in the evening, it;s all downhill. You'd also be going against the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cassegrain

I was planning on taking a monthly pass for the bus wich includes the Airlink. in this case the fare is not the problem.
    The thing is wich bus is the fastest and less sensitive to traffic jam...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

I was planning on taking a monthly pass for the bus wich includes the Airlink. in this case the fare is not the problem.
    The thing is wich bus is the fastest and less sensitive to traffic jam...

All buses use the bus lane so traffic jams isnt generally a problem except for the odd bottleneck on the route. Not sure about the airlink but it may use the M1 which would shorten the journey by 20 mins therabouts.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    why live in Dublin 1? is it purely to live in the city centre?
    Try and get a place around Drumcondra. You're only 5 min bus journey for o'connell street. Don't get a place around Croke Park. You might get pissed off on match days.
    And by a bike. Dublin isn't all that big. In the morning it;s generally uphill. But then in the evening, it;s all downhill. You'd also be going against the traffic.

I'd like to live in the city centre so i don't have to take the bus and i can just walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

I'd like to live in the city centre so i don't have to take the bus and i can just walk.

The 41 bus is the one you want. It goes from Abbey street to the airport. On the way back it goes down O'connell stree, the Main Street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

I should add, the journey takes about 20-25 minutes..

You can get a rio they rambler ticket for €125. You can use it as many times as you want within the month. Hop on, hop off.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If the OP will be living in the city centre and buys a DB ticket which covers the Airlink (only the annual one AFAIK), why would anyone recommend the 16 or 41 over the Airlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Aircoach will be expensive, even with the DAA staff rates, though it has the advantage of late night travel. It has limited stops as well.

Airlink has limited stopping places and a slow city centre trip so make sure you will have a stop close to your quarters. At least your DB pass will allow you onto the 41 and 16 to the airport as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What are the DAA staff rates for the Airlink? Are there any? If not then the cheapest option would be travel 90 I'm guessing?

The Aircoach ones are €7 return to city center with ID or €6.50 to Drumcondra.

I think i can get a travelwide Adult Monthly €112.00 dublin bus pass that covers the Airlink. I plan on using the airlink and when necessary for early departure/late arrival take the aircoach (with DAA staff rates it seems quite affordable).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

devnull wrote: »
    What are the DAA staff rates for the Airlink? Are there any? If not then the cheapest option would be travel 90 I'm guessing?

The Aircoach ones are €7 return to city center with ID or €6.50 to Drumcondra.

They are listed on their website; think it's route dependent as to what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I think i can get a travelwide Adult Monthly €112.00 dublin bus pass that covers the Airlink. I plan on using the airlink and when necessary for early departure/late arrival take the aircoach (with DAA staff rates it seems quite affordable).
    Cassegrain, you seem to have this much more in hand than the people responding to you, particularly the person who's advised you to take the 41 and pay €2.40 each way, which is particularly idiotic given not just the cheaper Leap fare available, but also the other ticket options that would save you money, even on the express Airlink service.

However, if you are, as I presume, going to be working 5 days a week, the €112 Adult Monthly ticket does not represent the best value for you. The €125 30 day non-consecutive ticket makes more sense, because:
    • It is also valid on Airlink
    • It works out at €4.17 per day, or €2.09 per single journey
    • On days when you're not working, you do not use it, meaning it will probably last you six weeks or more
    Link: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

On days when you need to use Aircoach for one leg of your journey, I would recommend using it for both, as a staff single costs €3.50, while a staff return costs €7. You'd be better off paying the extra €3.50 for an Aircoach return, rather than using up one of the €4.17 "days" on your DB 30-day ticket.

Link: http://www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.fares.php

I can't speak to the reliability of Airlink over the 41 or 16, but it usually uses the port tunnel, so it stands to reason that it will be faster. Whichever you decide to use, the €125 ticket is the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If getting the Airlink, I would suggest you live somewhere between O'Connel Street and The Point - all services use the Port Tunnel and severe traffic congestion would be relatively rare. Do be aware that it can be slow from The Point to the entrance to the Port Tunnel at peak times.

If getting the Aircoach or 16,33, 41/1/b/c I would suggest you live in Drumcondra / Dorset Street. Travelling in to the city in the morning and out in the evening can be slow, but there are bus lanes. Note that from the Airport to Drumcondra there are no Aircoach stops.

Do be aware that living in the city centre isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I recommend living in the IFSC. There are lots of apartments available and it's just a short walk/Luas trip to the city centre.

The 747 Airlink stops on North Wall Quay and at the o2. It's a 15/20 minute journey to the Airport from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Victor wrote: »
    Note that from the Airport to Drumcondra there are no Aircoach stops.

Is there not an aircoach stop right beside the Dublin bus stop on the citybound side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

KD345 wrote: »
    I recommend living in the IFSC. There are lots of apartments available and it's just a short walk/Luas trip to the city centre.

I'd recommend the IFSC too, seeing as the OP wants to be in the city centre and take the Airlink to work. The Airlink takes the port tunnel to the airport, you can't access it if you live in areas that are close to the city centre such as Drumcondra or Phibsboro

OP, I lived in the IFSC for nearly 2 years, until just recently. Feel free to holler if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, note also that Nitelink routes 33n and 41n on Friday and Saturday night serve the airport, but only from the city centre. http://www.dublinbus.ie/Templates/Public/Pages/BannerPage.aspx?id=160
    thomasj wrote: »
    Is there not an aircoach stop right beside the Dublin bus stop on the citybound side?
    Quinns pub in Drumcondra is the first stop coming from the airport.
    etchyed wrote: »
    On days when you need to use Aircoach for one leg of your journey, I would recommend using it for both, as a staff single costs €3.50, while a staff return costs €7. You'd be better off paying the extra €3.50 for an Aircoach return, rather than using up one of the €4.17 "days" on your DB 30-day ticket.
    Surely in such a situation, paying with Leap or even cash would be cheaper?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Note that if working nights, the Aircoach Dalkey and Greystones routes run every hour to/from the O2 stop. http://www.aircoach.ie/media/Blackrock.pdf giving a 30 minute frequency.

Fare: 6.50 return for O2 with DAA ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Victor wrote: »
    Surely in such a situation, paying with Leap or even cash would be cheaper?
    I'm presuming here that the OP still wants to use an express bus for the other journey.

Advertisement