Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaver kills man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Boggot Globule

Should've kicked him right in the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Tragic story but it's the same sort of sensationalized crap that Sky News are always coming out with.
    It was the same sort of thing with the awful story about the urban fox that chewed off a babys fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

From watching Yukon men on discovery every week I'm not surprised
    These lads have huge teeth and will protect young to all expense
    More people are killed every year hunting beavers than been attacked by them.
    As a matter of fact this is probably first time I've heard of a beaver killing a human.
    Horrible way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Guess its a recent thing to consider beavers as friendly fluffy furballs, cause in Medieval times they were famous for a not real but very gruesome habit... to bite their own testicles off when chased by hunters.

img4461.jpg

Apparently they were hunted for their testicles which were said to have healing properties. Supossedly, when a beaver had already castrated itself, it would raise its tail to show other hunters that it was no longer useful to them, and so was spared.

No word about them castrating people, but still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

With gnashers like that can we really afford to take the risk!?!?!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Was the Eurasian beaver native to Ireland and present and made extinct?

or

Was it never present?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_beaver

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought they were here at some point, could be wrong though. They were definitely in Britain anyway and were reintroduced in Scotland in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

An interesting question. As their dens are underwater the bones would not be preserved, compared to, say bear bones which have often been found in caves. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    But it is key to whether they would be protected or shot at by "the authorities" in the event of any (re) introduction.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74734195

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

recedite wrote: »
    An interesting question. As their dens are underwater the bones would not be preserved, compared to, say bear bones which have often been found in caves. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    But it is key to whether they would be protected or shot at by "the authorities" in the event of any (re) introduction.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74734195

I have never really seen a serious discussion as to whether they could be native. I am reading J P Mallory's The Origins of the Irish at the moment. Apparently there is an Old Irish word for beaver abac, which have continued into modern Welsh as afanc and modern Breton as avank. I am guessing the modern Irish word is directly taken from English as its just béabhar. I am no linguist but abac got me wondering

• Advertisement
Advertisement