Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Billies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There is a years-old thread on these over on Archiseek (with about 250k views and 700 posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

There is a years-old thread on these over on Archiseek (with about 250k views and 700 posts)

I spent an entire weekend last year sometime going through that thread. I loved when posters would hunt down surviving, but heavily disguised dutch billies in Dublin. The narrowing proportions of the windows (typically three on first floor, two on the second floor) and the centrally positioned chimney-stacks are always the tell tale signs of a reconfigured dutch billy in the georgian/victorian periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I prefer the "billies" much more than the often bland parapet finishing that came with the Georgian style,and without wishing to derail the thread too much, but are there many more surviving examples of 17th century pre-Georgian (okay,all 17th C is pre georgian,but pre queen Anne style)other than Kilmainham and Bellevue House?.

What did Dublin look like from 1650-1700?

Advertisement