Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Leaving Cert Tips

Options
  • 12-04-2013 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So I am getting a Summer Test in about 7 weeks in English, Can you please give me tips on how to get A1 ,these are what's going to be in the test...

1.Single Text (Macbeth)
    2.Poetry
    -Mahon
    -Yeats
    3.Cultural Context
    HMMB and I'm not Scared

My test is 2 hours long, can you please give me tips on time management with this test...
    We are getting one question in Macbeth, 1 question in Poetry and one question in Cultural Context..

Thank You All :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Are you actually getting all that on one test in 2 hours? In the actual Leaving Cert your supposed to spend a minute a mark on questions which would be 50 mins on Poetry, 60 mins on Macbeth and 70 mins on the Comparative which would be 3 hours! Is the comparative question going to be full question? I see you've only two texts written for it are ye just doing two or are ye going to be doing a third?

For Macbeth, know some general quotes, and look over some sample essays. Know the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth since they seem to come in some form or other all the time. Mahon know his themes - sense of identity, place, history, the techniques he uses, what effect his poetry had on you. Remember not to tell the examiner what the poem is all about but how it impacted on you and how it did this. Like in Grandfather, dont tell me that its all about his grandfather who got injured, couldn't work etc. You can mention it but don't dwell on it. It should be more about how Mahon perhaps tried to identify himself through another member in his family, he seemed to disappear at times, is there a suggestion here that perhaps he was involved in something sinister, maybe even the IRA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 epen2k9

We're going to be doing a third text for comparative ,but for now we only did 2

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

epen2k9 wrote: »
    So I am getting a Summer Test in about 7 weeks in English, Can you please give me tips on how to get A1 ,these are what's going to be in the test...

1.Single Text (Macbeth)
    2.Poetry
    -Mahon
    -Yeats
    3.Cultural Context
    HMMB and I'm not Scared

My test is 2 hours long, can you please give me tips on time management with this test...
    We are getting one question in Macbeth, 1 question in Poetry and one question in Cultural Context..

Thank You All :)

- Single Text > Know your quotes. Then look at the major characters. If you know your characters and quotes, your sorted.

- Mahon > Quotes and points
    - Yeats > Quotes and points

Comparative text
    Make sure you are comparing and contrasting constantly.
    Do up a grid

Don't learn off stale essays. Get into the habit of knowing your texts and quotes off by heart. At the end of the day, your going into the exam blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lckilkenny

I'm studying Sive, Purle Hibiscus and I'm not Scared for the LC this year. Could anyone give me some advice on doing a cultural context question on these texts. I literally haven't a clue :(

Advertisement