Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Work

Options
  • 12-04-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been on jobseekers for about 3 months now and I've just been offered a part time job. The only thing is the hours/days are very varied. Some weeks it could be 1-3 days or some weeks there might be no hours. It will def be under 20 hours a week.
    I'm not sure whether or not to take the job as it might make me worse off financially than being on the dole. I've been searching as to whether I might still be entitled to some jobseekers but I cant find a straight answer. I know that u can still claim something if u are working 2 days a week but it looks like it has to be the same days each week? Since mine wont be set days or hours and some weeks I might not have any work am I better off not taking the job????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

It doesn't go by how many hours you do it goes by days.
    If you worked 2 hours on Monday & 4 hours on Tuesday for example that would be 2 days deducted from you Job Seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

When on a casual claim you work whatever days are available and you are paid for the balance. How your payment is calculated will depend on whether you are on JSA or JSB.
    When you work 4 days it is considered full time employment and you wouldn't be paid for that week.
    On JSA what you earn per day determines how much is deducted. On JSB you loose 1/5 of your weekly rate for each day worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ruaille buaille

Ok thanks so much. If I dont get any hours for the week then do I get the full amount ie. 188 of jobseekers.
    I have also heard that now u can only do a maximum of 2 days and still get some benefits. If u do 3 days or more u dont get anything. A friend of mine told me they changed it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you don't work any days you will receive the full rate of €188. Just be aware that the SW week runs Wednesday to Tuesday for JSA and Thursday to Wednesday on JSB.
    You can work 3 days and still recieve payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moonshiner

i am wondering about this too it is hard to get work but i have been offered casualwork for next autumn but i will need to spend 100 euros on babysitting so i will have 100 left for myself for two evenings work how will this work with the dole and rent allowance if i still claim at this time? it is quite confusing I want to do it but Have to make sure I can pay my rent? any experience out there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement