Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Paid Jobs for CAO

Options
  • 12-04-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I'm only in 5th year, but I'm thinking about what I want to put on my CAO already. What jobs in relation to science and technology are the best paid? I know money isn't everything, and I'm not smart enough for medicine, but anything else would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a family member who trained the long way as an accountant (not directly through college, but in an office) and by 30 was making 1.4 million US in New York.
    If you get the breaks and are good at your job almost any field can make you money, if that's what is important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

spurious wrote: »
    I have a family member who trained the long way as an accountant (not directly through college, but in an office) and by 30 was making 1.4 million US in New York.
    If you get the breaks and are good at your job almost any field can make you money, if that's what is important to you.

Wow thats amazing! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Computer Scientists(programmers) have one of the highest paying jobs there is. Depending on how good you are, quite a few retire at an early age because they have managed to write an algorithm and have sold it for big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I would strongly suggest that you don't go for a job just because of how well it pays. There is much, much more to life than just money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

LpPepper wrote: »
    I would strongly suggest that you don't go for a job just because of how well it pays. There is much, much more to life than just money....

I would suggest you do, money brings freedom and the ability to fulfill your dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I'm only in 5th year, but I'm thinking about what I want to put on my CAO already. What jobs in relation to science and technology are the best paid? I know money isn't everything, and I'm not smart enough for medicine, but anything else would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks! :)

Amazes me that this would even come into consideration. Getting a job in healthcare for money is insane, particularly with our system! Go for a course such as Actuarial Science, BESS or Economics and Finance if you want a short and snappy course that's solely directed at money.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

cgarrad wrote: »
    I would suggest you do, money brings freedom and the ability to fulfill your dreams.

If you're working a job that you're miserable in for the sole purpose of making money then you're hardly fulfilling your dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

If your interested in science and maths then maybe you should look at engineering, there are plenty of jobs for engineers right now and they are some of the best paid in the world, if you don't like the engineering side afterwards you can always go into finance as doing an engineering degree shows you have good problem solving ability and good mathmatical ability.

I'm looking at a lot of science and healthcare courses, such as medicine, but the points are out of my range. I have a genuine interest though, it wasn't entirely for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

You're better off studying something you've a genuine interest in rather than money/salary.
    In 4-5 years, things will be very different and could turn around. Regardless, studying a course for a salary is completely ridiculous. Of course we all want security, but let's be realistic here.

Use the summer to mature and figure out what you actually want to do.

Putting down CAO choices in accordance with pay scales is extremely silly considering the implications afterwards.

If you end up in a degree you hate but will or is apparently well paid, you could end up dropping out and paying double fee's etc
    I know that you're only in secondary school and probably don't realise that CAO and college/course acceptance is a major decision with consequences but you are going to be doing a leaving cert next year and CAO, so time to do some research on what you have an interest in studying.
    After all, you're gonna have to live with it.

So, forget this notion. You're better off studying what you love.

• Advertisement

Thank you :) Yeah I guess money isn't everything! It's just so confusing, interested in so many courses and I suppose it was a way of deciding :)

Advertisement