Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc can't connect to internet ue to Virus...I think

Options
  • 12-04-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

I think one of the kids accepted an "update" for avg and it uninstalled it on the pc and it wont let me connect to the internet on it. The desktop is running XP and I can't install avg directly as it needs to be connected to the internet. Is there a way around this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Are you getting any specific error messages, or is it just that webpages won't load? Are you connected to the internet via wifi or by a network cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

wifi. No particular error messages but my brother had a look and said it is because avg was uninstalled and there is a virus stopping it connecting to the internet. I need to get something to remove the virus without the need for an internet connection on that pc. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have a usb stick, on another machine download YUMI from pendrivelinux and use it to install Kaspersky rescue disk onto the USB. It's easy to do the instructions are simple and clear. Boot the infected PC from the USB stick and run Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

If you can't connect the PC by cable you will have to connect to your wireless and enter your key. The Rescue disc is running from the USB so any virus can't stop you connecting to the internet as you have not booted into the infected OS.

Malwarebytes that bad boy, download the installation files and the definitions updates onto a USB and watch your problems disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Run malwarebytes as advised above.

Could be the program did not uninstall properly and your network settings are corrupted.

Use AVG removal tool to make sure all traces of AVG are gone.
    http://www.avg.com/ie-en/utilities

When AVG is gone run this file WinsockXPfix to reset the network (make sure you know the wifi password as it may need to be setup again)
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Obviously I'm assuming you have access to another computer to download these files.

• Advertisement
Advertisement