Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath hurlers still waiting for their medals

Options
  • 12-04-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Westmeath hurlers still waiting for their medals

11 April 2013

Westmeath players celebrate their 2010 Christy Ring Cup win over Kerry at Croke Park.
    Westmeath's hurlers are still waiting to be presented with medals they won four years ago!

Members of the Lake County's 2009 and 2010 Kehoe Cup winning teams, and their 2010 Christy Ring Cup winning side, have yet to receive their medals, prompting one supporter to write to GAA president Liam O'Neill asking him to intervene on the matter.

However, Coole man Billy Sheridan was informed by the president that it was an issue for Westmeath hurling committee to resolve. "There was no recognition of the players or management of that time; it's as if they didn't exist. Westmeath has had four years to deal with this and have failed to do so in a satisfactory manner," he complained in the Westmeath Topic.

Westmeath hurling board committee chairman Matty Conaty said there are plans to hold a presentation night in the near future.

"There was a date chosen in 2012, but not every player was available and we didn't want to clash with the senior hurlers' championship preparations either. We had fixed it for early last year, but it fell through.

"It is definitely part of the plan for this year," he said.

This is a total joke i feel. But whats to bigger joke is where is the GPA? They would make aa big dong and dance if this was one of the big teams. If would seem unless your the Cork hurlers they want nothing to do with you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

On the face of it and from the info there it would seem like a complete farce alright and another county where hurlers are obviously regarded as second class citizens, ironic really because Westmeath have enormous potential with the small ball and realistically more chance of success than the footballers.

On the issue of the GPA I'm no fan of the group at all but Im not so sure you can blame them here, for a number of reasons ;

1) How many of the players involved are members of the GPA?
    2) Did any Westmeath plauyer approach the GPA?
    3) Are the Westmeath players even that bothered?

Added to that how do you know that the GPA haven't done anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 steveve

On the face of it and from the info there it would seem like a complete farce alright and another county where hurlers are obviously regarded as second class citizens, ironic really because Westmeath have enormous potential with the small ball and realistically more chance of success than the footballers.

On the issue of the GPA I'm no fan of the group at all but Im not so sure you can blame them here, for a number of reasons ;

1) How many of the players involved are members of the GPA?
    2) Did any Westmeath plauyer approach the GPA?
    3) Are the Westmeath players even that bothered?

Added to that how do you know that the GPA haven't done anything?

There are meant to be looking out for players welfare after all. Now maybe not all the Westmeath players are members but you would assume there would be some who are.

I dont see why they should have to be approached about matters like this. They know about it now but will they have anything to say? I think we all know the answer there. Then again what will the GPA actually do? Seems there only answers to questions are for the team to go on strike.

I am no fan of the GPA myself but you would think the reason they were set up would be for the welfare of the smaller counties yet they still only worry about the likes of Cork, Dublin etc

I also just read (not sure if its true) that the Westmeath footballers are waiting for medal from winning Div 2 of the league in 2008

Well if the info regarding the footballers is true then surely your ire belongs with the Westmeath County Board and not the GPA, Im sorry I dont see the connection between medals and the GPA??

Well if the info regarding the footballers is true then surely your ire belongs with the Westmeath County Board and not the GPA, Im sorry I dont see the connection between medals and the GPA??

Well it should be fairly clear. The GPA are meant to look out for players welfare are they not? In this case are they looking out for Westmeath players welfare? Or do they only look out for players on teams that get too big for there boots?

You are obviously trying to make this into something it is not, it has about as much to do with the GPA as the IRA.

Do you understand what 'players welfare' means?? Are you suggesting there are Westmeath players going hungry and they need these medals to auction on ebay to feed themselves perhaps?

An incompetent ( possibly broke I have no idea) county board is the issue here quite frankly your attempt to divert that blame onto the GPA is bizzare to say the least.

• Advertisement

You are obviously trying to make this into something it is not, it has about as much to do with the GPA as the IRA.

Do you understand what 'players welfare' means?? Are you suggesting there are Westmeath players going hungry and they need these medals to auction on ebay to feed themselves perhaps?

An incompetent ( possibly broke I have no idea) county board is the issue here quite frankly your attempt to divert that blame onto the GPA is bizzare to say the least.

What are you on about? The GPA are there to make sure players are being looked after something thata not happening in this case.

Were the Cork players going hungry when they were going on strike? The GPA were very fast to act there stating it was looking after the players welfare were they not? There issue (or so they claim) was with the county board but it didnt stop the GPA make a big song and dance about it did it?

Im not blaming the GPA your the only one saying that im saying there not doing what they claim there meant to be doing

steveve wrote: »
    What are you on about? The GPA are there to make sure players are being looked after something thata not happening in this case.

Were the Cork players going hungry when they were going on strike? The GPA were very fast to act there stating it was looking after the players welfare were they not? There issue (or so they claim) was with the county board but it didnt stop the GPA make a big song and dance about it did it?

Im not blaming the GPA your the only one saying that im saying there not doing what they claim there meant to be doing

I never mentioned the Cork hurlers I think that was a complete load of bollo*ks aswell if you must know, you were the one who brought them into it.

Your not blaming the GPA?? You started this thread with the sole purpose of attacking them and how they operate, doesn't take much to figure that out, at leat if you are going to do it don't do it behind the veil of the Westmeath hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Cant see why medals can't be presented along with the trophy after the match like all other sports. This medals night thing is nonsense, just an excuse for a piss up and a waste of time.

I never mentioned the Cork hurlers I think that was a complete load of bollo*ks aswell if you must know, you were the one who brought them into it.

Your not blaming the GPA?? You started this thread with the sole purpose of attacking them and how they operate, doesn't take much to figure that out, at leat if you are going to do it don't do it behind the veil of the Westmeath hurlers.

Yes i know i did to use as an example to show your point was wrong.

What the f*** are you on about!? The only one who has sadi anything about blaming the GPA is you. Do you not read your own posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Steveve, your original post mentioned the GPA. lol

• Advertisement

Connorzee wrote: »
    Steveve, your original post mentioned the GPA. lol

Yes but i didnt say i blamed them did i?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

If we were just to look at the sentence:

This is a total joke i feel. But whats to bigger joke is where is the GPA? They would make aa big dong and dance if this was one of the big teams. If would seem unless your the Cork hurlers they want nothing to do with you

Not knowing you personally, your tone here suggests: 1. You have a problem with the GPA. 2. You have a problem with the cork hurlers, for whatever reason.

Maybe the GPA have already been on the case. Who knows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

O5eNxpF.gif

The WH Footballers don't have medals from 2008 and no one would be any wiser, not a word said. Is the 'Hurlers not been taken care of' carrot bandied about too much?

Advertisement