Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front of stove regulations?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I installed a wood burning stove last year myself and it replaced an existing fire. The stove sits on the marble area in front of the old fireplace. I have a wooden floor and was told that I would have to put a protection (e.g. tiles) in front of the stove to protect from embers, if I was to rent out my house.

Does anyone know what the regulations are on this? i.e. how far out do I need to come out with tiles? And, is there anything else I can use other than tiles?

f7e2d95b-129b-4cef-a747-649f5f09bef7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

building regs part j heat producing appliances page 10 diagram 7 at least 225mm in front for a closed appliance and at least 300mm for an open appliance and for a closed appliance which may be used with its front open ,and 150mm to the sides. section 3.18 in the case of of a back boiler the hearth should be constructed (a)of solid non-conbustible material at least (1)125mm thick or (2)25mm thick placed on non combustible supports at least 25mm high and sizes in diagram

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

I don't know the regulations, but I went to a place that supplies gravestones, they cut and polished a piece of black marble for me, I inset this into the floor and finished it with a brass trim. looks well, does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

thanks for the responses guys!

Another quick question...if I laid tiles 225mm in front, do they need to be flush with the existing height of the hearth or is it Ok to have the tiles lower on the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

It is okay to have them at floor level

• Advertisement

Great! Thanks rickmoister

Advertisement