Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness programm for mums to be

Options
  • 12-04-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I have only found out that our no. 2 is on its way :-)
    Soooo... from my previous experience with pregnancy and labour I know what I would like and what I don't want :-) This means.. I don't want to put on 4 stones during the pregnancy (even though I lost them as soon as the baby was born) so I am looking for ideas how to keep the weight off as much as possible :-) I am obviously not gonna do anything crazy as the tiredness is kicking in already but just something I can feel its good for my body and sole really :-) Any ideas??? I am not looking for any pilates classes as they worked against me the last time! :eek:Thanks a mill.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

For weight, it's all about portion control. I remember being astounded by reading how few extra calories you need when pregnant, especially in the first two trimesters. It's definitely nothing close to eating for two.

For fitness, most activities you currently perform are fine to continue in pregnancy according to my doctor, but taking up a new fitness regime if you weren't previously active may need aore careful approach. Discuss this with your doctor or midwife if its an issue. If all is ok for you and you hadn't previously been physically active, brisk walking is good for gentle cardio and you can get great satisfaction by building up your endurance over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Thanks girls...
    Well.. the fact is that I have been pretty active for last year or so.. just in the middle of Jillian Michaels Body revolution work out series so... I obviously can not keep this one going!
    And I have never eaten more than before pregnancy if anything it was less with our number 1 and still managed put on so much weight. It was mostly water as it all went very quickly. I managed to stay in same size (10)clothing only in pregnancy version even with 4 stones up so I don't think my diet or portions I was eating were the problem. Someone just mentioned Tracey Anderson had a pregnancy work out so I am gonna check that out.
    Thanks again for your suggestions. I will do the swimming in second and third trimester that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Wow, I feel dumb for mentioning walking if you're doing Jillian, she's super tough! From what you said, it may just be that your body just puts on more pregnancy weight than average and it's prob largely outside your control once you keep an eye on food intake and remain active. Best of luck!

:D She is tough but it works and you can feel the difference in few days even if you are fit :-) I love her.. try to do her body revolution twice a year .. not always 100% success but effort counts too :-) as sometimes I find hard even to get them 40 mins for myself never mind working out :-) I just think I learned form the first time around and want to make this pregnancy as easy as possible for my body and the little one on the way :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

OP, I hear ya! Piled on 4 stone the last time and ended up having a very tough third trimester and birth. And two years later I didnt shift all that weight off either. Im now 7 mths pregnant with number two and can tell you that the awareness alone has stopped me from doing the same! I dont quite have the same cravings on this one, but I just know I cant eat chips and toast to beat the band without there being consequences. Exercise-wise, I walk 6km to work most days, do a fitness class for pregnancy and bought Davinas pregnancy dvd. Plus looking after a 2 yr old is a work out in itself. So I would say not to overly panic, the awareness itself will save you!

Thanks very much mrsberries :-) I know its all together different story this time around for me too. I am looking after a 3 year old and not working in the office 8 hours a day :-) so moving around most of the day every day and no time as such to lunch with my work friends every day ect. Not a bad thing I guess :-) I got the Tracy Anderson pregnancy work out yesterday so gonna have a go with that too even though I don't think for a minute I will stick to it every day for next 8 months ha ha I think the biggest ''downside'' to this pregnancy will be that I am no longer living centrally and so I do drive practically everywhere!:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all,

Just wondering which pregnancy workout dvd any of you could recommend. im thinking of buying one as it would be easier to fit into my schedule with my 15 month old. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

I can definitely recommend pregnancy yoga. It a great way to keep fit while pregnant but also it helps you prepare for labour by working with the breath and relaxation. Its also great for de-stressing and bonding with your growing baby. The pregnant ladies who come to my class always say they sleep great after which isn't always easy when your pregnant!

Advertisement