Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade path from Win2k8 to Win2k8R2?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Is there really no upgrade path from Win2k8 to Win2k8R2?

This is going to be painful if the answer is no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios

• Upgrades to Windows Server 2008 R2 from the following operating systems are not supported:
    • Windows® 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista®, Windows Vista Starter, or Windows 7
    • Windows NT® Server 4.0, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 RTM, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 Web, Windows Server 2008 R2 M3, or Windows Server 2008 R2 Beta
    • Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems
    • Cross-architecture in-place upgrades (for example, x86 to x64) are not supported.
    • Cross-language in-place upgrades (for example, en-us to de-de) are not supported.
    • Cross-edition upgrades (for example, the Windows Server 2008 Foundation SKU to the Windows Server 2008 Datacenter SKU) are not supported.
    • Cross-build type in-place upgrades (for example, fre to chk) are not supported.

Supported Upgrade Scenarios

From Windows Server 2003 (SP2, R2) Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2
    Datacenter Datacenter
    Enterprise Enterprise, Datacenter
    Standard Standard, Enterprise

From Windows Server 2008 (RTM-SP1, SP2) Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2
    Datacenter Datacenter
    Datacenter Core Datacenter Core
    Enterprise Core Enterprise Core, Datacenter Core
    Foundation (SP2 only) Standard
    Standard Core Standard Core, Enterprise Core
    Web Standard, Web
    Web Core Standard Core, Web Core

Note
    Windows Server 2008 RTM is marked as "RTM-SP1" because a user sees "Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1" in the system information.

From Windows Server 2008 (RC, IDS, RTM) Upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2
    Datacenter Datacenter
    Datacenter Core Datacenter Core
    Enterprise Core Enterprise Core, Datacenter Core
    Foundation Standard, Foundation
    Standard Core Standard Core, Enterprise Core
    Web Standard, Web
    Web Core Standard Core, Web Core

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers. We ere told by our solutions provider that there is no upgrade path.

My problem is that we had a failed server [software] that was running win2k3 Standard. We decided to reformat the server as Win2k8R2 Standard as we had the licenses. However, a few days after installation and full configuration, which took over a week, it turns out we have Win2k8 Standard licenses not the R2 variant.

From your post, it assumes that there is actually an upgrade path, I'd rather spend an upgrade cost rather than a painful week or re-install and reconfigure. Fkn solutions provider is charging just shy of €1000 ex vat for new Win2k12 with downgrade rights. I'm not paying that ridiculous amount.

Do you have a link to about, so I can dig some more? I just want to purchase and enter the license key, rather than re-install anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hello,

First of all get back to your "trusted" IT provider and re-evaluate the situation with them.
    It looks like license OK but rather wrong media have been used in the reinstall !??
    If you have followed best standards,you should have an email stating the steps to take in order to bring back online the failed server.If you have it,then you can request that they will fix it for you,on their own cost and time,in your terms !!!

Secondly,i am not questioning the charge,is a business and everybody needs to make their customers happy and some (more or less) profit for the business otherwise we'll be all asking here on the boards for FoC advice...

Thirdly,i will pay the upgrade to 2012 with downgrade rights,you may be better in the long term ! That assuming that the hardware will live by then and is compatible with new OS !

Anyway,have fun...

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you bought a server 2012 licence you could potentially install hyper-v 2012 and have two virtual machines on the same box running any previous server OS with no extra cost. Don't know if you have the hardware for it but may be an option. You could always P2V your existing server if you are happy with it (assuming it isn't an OEM licence).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I was under the impression you cant upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

My problem is that we had a failed server [software] that was running win2k3 Standard. We decided to reformat the server as Win2k8R2 Standard as we had the licenses. However, a few days after installation and full configuration, which took over a week, it turns out we have Win2k8 Standard licenses not the R2 variant.

IF you have the licences for 2008 R2 then that should cover you for running 2008 or 2003 etc. As far as I know a future release, in this case 2008 R2, covers you for all previous releases.

Might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IF you have the licences for 2008 R2

The short of it is that we don't. Expensive mistake.

Advertisement