Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting from scratch.

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm buying an old cottage with no heating other than one open fire. I'll have to put in some kind of heating and would like to know the best route to take.

I've read many of the posts on here about gas bills, oil bills and electricity bills. From what I read, electric storage or underfloor heating has become the cheapest to run (?). I have memories of electric heating being horrendously expensive, but that was before the huge rise in gas and oil costs. I have enough land available for geothermal.

So, what's the educated thinking if starting from scratch? The floors have to come up anyway as there is no insulation there and we will be building up into the attic. Gas would have to be a tank as there is no mains gas available.

I would be very interested in your thoughts. Especially if you have personal experience to draw on, or are in the trade.

Advertisement