Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question, are we being screwed?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have a plumbing question.

The tanks in our attic were rusting so we needed to change them. Both needed to change.

The plumber changed the little tank and replaced the big tank with two others (the normal big one wouln't go up). He also replaced all the connections etc. The plumber also 'cleaned' out the heating system. He had some machine that looked like a high powered hose.

We weren't there when the work was happening but it took 2 guys a full day and they have to come back to take the old tanke away (have to cup the big one in the attic to get it to fit out the hole.

So we were charged 1,100 for this work. This soulds alot to me. Would anyone have any advice, are we getting screwed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

and that was down from 1200 initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Got a 131 BMW in your driveway :)

I wish... i will be following up on this... what do you think is a fair price for that work?

spudulike wrote: »
    I wish... i will be following up on this... what do you think is a fair price for that work?

Depends... call out 100 -150 reasonable
    40 - 50 e per hr
    Tanks ... cheap 200e ish
    U have no comeback if u payed the money, did you get a vat recipt ?

I haven't paid it all yet, he has to come back to remove the old tank from the attic (needs a special cutter to cup it up) and balance paid then.

There's wasn't a callout as such. It was an arranged job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I think the price is fair. You now have a flushed heating system with 3 new (hopefully lagged and capped) tanks in your attic. And the old tank removed. Replacing those tanks is the mankiest work you can think of.

Bord Gais charge €599 for power flush alone. http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/hometeam/power-flushing/

I'm assuming you agreed the price with them before starting as you mentioned the price coming down from 1200.

davidoco wrote: »
    I think the price is fair. You now have a flushed heating system with 3 new (hopefully lagged and capped) tanks in your attic. And the old tank removed. Replacing those tanks is the mankiest work you can think of.

Bord Gais charge €599 for power flush alone. http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/hometeam/power-flushing/

I'm assuming you agreed the price with them before starting as you mentioned the price coming down from 1200.

I need to check but I don't think the tanks have lids. would they be important?

We did agree the price but then though more about it and weren't sure how good it was...

We did agree the price but then though more about it and weren't sure how good it was...

Lids and lagged ....

Lids and lagged ....

Is this just to keep clean and stop freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

At that price you would be expecting a wrap around jacket and a lid on each tank. Also each pipe they replaced (which is probably all) carefully lagged with pipe lagging.

I think since you agreed the price at 1100 you have to accept that now. It's at the upper end of the price range for this sort of job hence the reason you should be looking for it to be done right.

Text him to say you noticed he put no lid or insulation on and that you were expecting that as your insurance company were asking about it when you were renewing the house insurance as it is a major cause of failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I wouldnt say you were screwed , it is a bit steep but I dont know what exactly was involved in what they had to do , did they have to build a new base for the tank ? Are you happy with the work carried out ? Not a lot of plumbers remove the old galvanised tanks from the attics , most just leave them to one side . There is not much point in questioning the bill now after agreeing it with him , but I would push for a lid and jacket for the tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

davidoco wrote: »

Right!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

That's a fair price for that, Consider VAT and taxes. Deffo get tank jackets and lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the ordinary paye worker has little clue about the expenses of being self employed.
    The bill came to €1100? Take Vat away and you're down to €969.16. Take wages for two men, one on €150 a day gross and one on €80. Down to €739.16. Account for parts anything up to €250. Now you're down to €489.16. Additional hours to remove old tanks. Now deduct diesel, tax, tyre wear, van repayments, van servicing, insurance of van, public liability insurance,wages to cover holiday periods, prsi, sick pay, cost of tools and replacement of tools, cost of warranty and callbacks plus a multitude of other items I can't remember right now, oh and no dole if it all goes south.

Not a plumber but am self employed and I don't think you really appreciate the costs involved until you cross that particular rubicon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ah sure might aswell work for free with the way people are thinking lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Also take into consideration that most likely they would have had to construct a suitable base to support the new plastic tanks. Not particularly expensive on materials (+-100e) but time consuming nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Also take into consideration that most likely they would have had to construct a suitable base to support the new plastic tanks. Not particularly expensive on materials (+-100e) but time consuming nonetheless.

A hundred quid for a base , thats off the wall .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

rebeve wrote: »
    A hundred quid for a base , thats off the wall .

Thats your opinion, OP is talking about 1 x F&E tank and 2 x Std (his words, most likely S60 model) cold water storage tanks.
    These tanks need to be supported correctly so that their weight is spread across the joists and in a manner that does not put too much weight in any one place.
    Having built bases in accordance to SDCC specifications, you would be surprised how much timber you could use.
    In OP's case you could use the best part of an 8x4 sheet of 3/4" WPB Plywood board, plus several lengths of 4x2 (minimum) or 6x2 (preferred)timber, you may even need a couple of joist hangers depending on where the tank is to be located.

Advertisement