Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Bashing Incident in Dublin

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:07am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, another incident of gay bashing has happened in Dublin, where club promoter Buzz O'Neill was attacked by a number of men who got out of a taxi on South Great George's Street in Dublin after they saw him kiss another man.

http://www.gcn.ie/Gaybash_on_Georges_Street

Absolutely disgusting! Hate-filled rhetoric helps to create an environment where homophobes think that beating LGBT people is justified.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Absolutely terrible! The scum that walk our streets...

Hope Buzz is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Did the other chap get beaten also?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mitosis wrote: »
    Did the other chap get beaten also?

what other chap?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

what other chap?

The chap he was kissing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The chap he was kissing.

His friend? I dont think so, I think the lads just went for Buzz when he said f* off to them.

His friend? I dont think so, I think the lads just went for Buzz when he said f* off to them.

That's what I thought too, which suggests it was not a homophobic attack as much as a "That &*^% just told me to eff off" attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Read the story on Broadsheet. Comments section was disheartening. Started off well but quickly turned to blaming the victim. Basically, what did he expect when he told them to **** off? Pretty disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

From the GCN article:
    I kissed my friend goodbye on the corner of the laneway, beside the dry cleaners and there was a taxi stopped beside me,” O’Neill explains. “One of the guys in it shouted ‘fucking faggot’ out the window. I told him to ‘**** off’, and he spat at me out of the taxi.

Motivation was definitely homophobic in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Scary that that kind of thing is still happening. Especially on George's Street, which I always assumed would be one of the safest areas, a little gay sanctuary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

That's what I thought too, which suggests it was not a homophobic attack as much as a "That &*^% just told me to eff off" attack.

After homophobic verbal abuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The saddest thing about incidents like these is the amount of people who either seem to think they were asking for it just by "being gay" in public or completely ignore the obvious homophobic elements in order to justify the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

good god...this is terrible. I agree with face1990, I always felt quite safe in georges street but after this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Lesson to everyone never ever let your guard down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Lesson to everyone never ever let your guard down.

I dunno - why should we all?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I dunno - why should we all?
    Everyone, gay or straight, should have their wits about them late night in a city like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I agree everyone (gay or straight) need to have their wits about them. I still shudder when I think of that journalist who accidentally bumped shoulders with some thug on Wexford Street in Dublin last summer and was killed. Most of us have inadvertently hit/brushed off people in crowded streets on nights out or responded/retaliated to verbal insults of any sort and nothing further happens thankfully. All it takes is to meet the wrong person for it to escalate further with serious consequences.

I completely sympathize with the victim in this incident and he is totally faultless. Personally, if someone spits homophobic abuse at me on a night out, I hope I would look the other way to prevent escalation. I would not risk sacrificing my teeth, nose, face or worse just to give as good as I get. Some might say that's chickening out but sometimes taking a pacifist approach and not engaging with lowlifes will work out better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

ongarboy wrote: »
    I agree everyone (gay or straight) need to have their wits about them. I still shudder when I think of that journalist who accidentally bumped shoulders with some thug on Wexford Street in Dublin last summer and was killed. Most of us have inadvertently hit/brushed off people in crowded streets on nights out or responded/retaliated to verbal insults of any sort and nothing further happens thankfully. All it takes is to meet the wrong person for it to escalate further with serious consequences.

I completely sympathize with the victim in this incident and he is totally faultless. Personally, if someone spits homophobic abuse at me on a night out, I hope I would look the other way to prevent escalation. I would not risk sacrificing my teeth, nose, face or worse just to give as good as I get. Some might say that's chickening out but sometimes taking a pacifist approach and not engaging with lowlifes will work out better in the long run.

Not at all. A good martial arts instructor will always recommend this as your first line of defense. There's some grade A psychopaths out there. However, if you aren't able to get away, fight tooth and nail to defend yourself. That means dirty shots, eye gouging, biting, anything to ensure your own personal safety.

Advertisement