Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

American Students for next fall?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi!
    I'm attending Trinity in the fall, and I was curious to see what the offer status of some other Incoming American students was. Mine is still "conditional" (It justs says that I have to earn a 3.3 GPA in my final semester.) I saw someone else post that theirs had gone from "conditional" to "firm." I'm a little nervous as to why this is because I know we aren't allowed to apply for housing until we are offered a "firm" spot!

Could anyone share what their offer status is on their portal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

What's fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What's fall?

Ignore the ignoramus. I imagine most people realise fall is used in US English to indicate autumn. Or are you the kind of person who'll pretend you don't know what a "gas station" refers to?
    Psych2013 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm attending Trinity in the fall, and I was curious to see what the offer status of some other Incoming American students was. Mine is still "conditional" (It justs says that I have to earn a 3.3 GPA in my final semester.) I saw someone else post that theirs had gone from "conditional" to "firm." I'm a little nervous as to why this is because I know we aren't allowed to apply for housing until we are offered a "firm" spot!

Could anyone share what their offer status is on their portal?

I think you'll have more luck contacting the admissions office directly. I'm not sure how many US students look at this forum.

Going purely on intuition - it could be that people are being changed from "conditional" to "firm" based on confirmation that there are spaces for them. It could be that your course has different criteria/spaces available so the offer hasn't changed to firm yet.

Good luck with your application and hope you enjoy your stay in Ireland :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ignore the ignoramus. I imagine most people realise fall is used in US English to indicate autumn. Or are you the kind of person who'll pretend you don't know what a "gas station" refers to?

That was an awfully joy-less response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ravelleman wrote: »
    That was an awfully joy-less response.

Seeing how he's trolling the other US student thread asking if how much sex they've managed to get with the natives I don't believe his response is suitable to a post genuinely asking for information.

I've reported him anyway - let the mods decide if it's suitable for the forum or not.

Be joyful if you want - but at least try and answer the OP's question?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Slugabed

I'm fairly sure that the "firm" just means you've put down your deposit. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 corporalflint

Psych, when did you apply and when have you received the conditional offer? :) How much time does it take for tcd to make the decision?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP hasn't bothered checking back in the last three weeks. I wouldn't be 'fall'ing over myself to answer.

I see, but mayyybe the good man decides to check his thread in the meantime, hopefully? :D
    Didn't mean to necrobump, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Psych2013

@corporalflint Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I would get emails telling me when someone replied it the thread, so I only thought to check back recently.

I mailed my application in at the end of October (2012) and received a conditional offer in mid February. I almost immediately accept and put down my deposit. My status has been "conditional offer- accepted firmly" ever since then.

Are you a US student applying??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hangover14

I'm a student from the US coming to study Medicine in the Fall. As someone noted earlier, your status changes from "conditional" to "firm" following the payment of a deposit.

Anyone down for a roommate haha? Trinity Hall hasn't even read my application and its been nearly 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

@hangover14
    I put my deposit down in February, and my status is still "conditional offer- accepted firmly." What they told me was that it would become a "firm offer" as soon as they received my second semester transcript. I'm hoping the difference in our statuses is due to the difference in programs...!

The admissions person also told me that they wouldn't even be accepting applications for trinity hall until mid-June.... If you've already submitted it then perhaps she meant that they wouldn't start processing them until then.... hmmm well update me if they do get back to you about accommodation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

Ireland does not use gpa,why did you not get a 4.0

@dartup basically, Trinity requires that for an American student to apply, they need at least a 3.3 GPA. My GPA is quite a bit higher than that so I'm not concerned about making that GPA this semester, but they still need to see my final transcript! 3.3 is about a B+ average on the American grading scale. I'm not sure how that converts to the Irish system...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Psych2013 wrote: »
    @dartup basically, Trinity requires that for an American student to apply, they need at least a 3.3 GPA. My GPA is quite a bit higher than that so I'm not concerned about making that GPA this semester, but they still need to see my final transcript! 3.3 is about a B+ average on the American grading scale. I'm not sure how that converts to the Irish system...

B+ would roughly equate to a 'grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hangover14

@Psych2013

Yeah, my status is the same as yours- my bad.

But, I've heard from other international students in the past that they've received their TH confirmations at the end of April? I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see whatsup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Existing students haven't even gotten their room offers yet, and won't til June. The whole process is delayed because the college needs to survey all the accommodation to calculate their property tax liability

@Hangover14 thanks for telling me! Such a relief. But I also figured out how to apply for a room last night. But yeah I guess it sounds like it'll be a little while before we hear about the rooms...

@Psych2013, no, I'm from Europe.. I was just curious about how long they normally asses the applications. I applied in April and am waiting now...probably till the end of June. Anyway, thanks for response and good luck! ;)

Advertisement