Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpful websites for getting taxis in Japan?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm going to be heading to Japan for a 10 day holiday later this month and was wondering if anyone could recommend some helpful sites for navigating while on the go. I visit Shanghai fairly regularly for work and have found a great site to use on my phone. It provides a 'Taxi Screen' for every location. For example, this is the Taxi Screen for O'Malley's Irish pub:
    http://mobile.smartshanghai.com/taxi/90
    With this site it's possible to get a taxi back to your hotel no matter how far off the beaten track you go even though I don't speak a word of Mandarin.

Anyone know of anything similar for Japan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I can't recommend an app, but a few thoughts:

Are you going to have mobile internet access in Japan? Free wi-fi isn't all that common here, and data roaming from home can be pretty expensive.

I would take a low-tech approach. Have the name and address of your hotel written on a piece of paper in your wallet (the receptionist can do this for you, or you can pick up a card at reception). When it's time to go home, walk into the street and flag down a taxi and show the address to the driver. Then snooze in the back seat until you arrive.

In Japanese cities you never have to call a cab. The streets are full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Thanks for the advice. I had been using the low-tech when in Shanghai before I found Smart Shanghai so at least I know that works :)

My Japanese adventure begins in 24 hours :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tonedef wrote: »
    My Japanese adventure begins in 24 hours :D

Colour me jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Taxi's cost a bomb in Japan, and you should never really need them with the amazing train system they have. In the major cities at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Taxi's cost a bomb in Japan, and you should never really need them with the amazing train system they have. In the major cities at least.

They shut down for the night awful early though

Advertisement