Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice.

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I'm having a slight dilemma over what subjects to choose for the Leaving Cert. I'm looking to do computer game or software development when I leave secondary school, but neither of the courses that I'm looking at have any subject requirements besides the usual Irish, English and Maths. Now I'm left with the decision on whether to choose subjects which will most likely be the easiest to boost my overall LC score or to lean towards the subjects that I have greater interest in (probably the better option).

If anybody who's aiming for a similar career reads this: What subjects did you choose for the LC? and why? Or, if anyone has any advice on subjects which could possibly be more beneficial to me than others, your input would be greatly appreciated!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I don't do it but I'd imagine physics would probably be helpful?
    Also computer game development, art!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Pretty much all software based courses have a big emphasis on what the lecturers love to call 'problem solving' skills.

Essentially, this means maths, physics, applied maths, and to a lesser extent DCG.

To be honest, I doubt art would be of much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I would just do the subjects you think you'll enjoy the most. The career you plan to do now may change several times between now and when you have to fill out your CAO. If you do change your mind you don't want to be stuck doing all maths type subjects when there are other subjects you would have preferred. I would advise you to do at least one science however, as it's required for a large number of courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheGilch13

I think choosing a broad range of subjects is your best choice. As a previous poster said you could change your mind about your future career.
    In that case I would choose a science subject, a business subject (I'd go for accounting), and a foreign language. As someone who still doesn't know what they want to do in college and have the Leaving Cert in two months I found this the beneficial :D It gives you a wide scope of subjects but also means you'll any subject requirements for a college course. With a science, a business, and a third language all courses will be open to you. But if you are confident in computer game and software development then I would go with subjects you enjoy and forget everything I just said!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mario852

I'm having a slight dilemma over what subjects to choose for the Leaving Cert. I'm looking to do computer game or software development when I leave secondary school, but neither of the courses that I'm looking at have any subject requirements besides the usual Irish, English and Maths. Now I'm left with the decision on whether to choose subjects which will most likely be the easiest to boost my overall LC score or to lean towards the subjects that I have greater interest in (probably the better option).

If anybody who's aiming for a similar career reads this: What subjects did you choose for the LC? and why? Or, if anyone has any advice on subjects which could possibly be more beneficial to me than others, your input would be greatly appreciated!;)

I am now in 5th year and I will definately be doing a software-related course after LC. I chose Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Home Ec, and I must say I am very happy with these. With absolutely no work/study put into these I am able to get A-C in my tests (all HL btw).
    So if you did well in JC Science, I would definitely recommend Physics, Chemistry and Biology as these are really fun and will most likely get you easy points for your LC. The most important thing is to choose something you enjoy, as motivation strongly correlates with good results.
    In my opinion there wouldn't be anything 'beneficial' to you apart from Higher Maths and Physics.

BTW. Why do you plan to do a computer related course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Always do the subjects that interest you most, not the ones that are supposedly 'easy'.
    (There are no universally easy subjects by the way, a subject may seem easy to some people because they have an interest or aptitude for that subject)

Don't worry about how well your choice of subjects compliment your choice of university course either, fulfill the requirements first and foremost. What you need to know you'll pick up on really quickly once you're in university and secondly, the stuff you study for Leaving Cert may only have a small section dedicated to what you will be doing.

Now, that said, problem solving is a huge part of programming and I would recommend doing Applied Maths if you can, to a lesser extent Physics, and make sure you do well in Higher level Maths too as you will improve your problem solving skills greatly.

Good luck!

Advertisement