Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Rock and CL Smooth vs Gang Starr

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭

Got thinkin about this because of the pete rock and cl buzz in the track of the day thread today and it's a very debatable topic if you ask me, 2 great mc's and 2 of arguably the greatest producers of all time, I haven't really come to a conclusion because I'm a massive fan of both.

For me premo is rivalled by very few but that few would be RZA, Dilla and Pete rock, but the argument isn't simply about production, there's still 2 mc's there to be debated

Discuss away lads and lasses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Got thinkin about this because of the pete rock and cl buzz in the track of the day thread today and it's a very debatable topic if you ask me, 2 great mc's and 2 of arguably the greatest producers of all time, I haven't really come to a conclusion because I'm a massive fan of both.

For me premo is rivalled by very few but that few would be RZA, Dilla and Pete rock, but the argument isn't simply about production, there's still 2 mc's there to be debated

Discuss away lads and lasses

I just about prefer Peter Rock's production and I reckon he is actually a better emcee than CL Smooth. Guru trumps both of them though.

Both Premier & Pete Rock I think liked to work with skilled yet unobtrusive emcees to showcase their production - Guru, CL, INI/Grap Luva, Group Home etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Too hard to pick man, but if i had to i would have to pick Gang Starr over Pete Rock & Cl Smooth for consistently producing and releasing quality quality albums for 14 years. Its a shame Pete Rock & Cl smooth where cut short due to the break-up. But i hate comparing/picking between the two acts, both legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i dunno its a toughie,but id have to go with pete rock some producer i posted this in track of the day earlier,rumour has it pete rock knocked the beat up in a few minutes in front of biggie smalls.......to show him how to make a beat!!

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    I reckon he is actually a better emcee than CL Smooth.

Controversial, would have to disagree with that.

Dunno if you guys seen this interview, its brilliant, they go through and discuss some of their most famous records, some class stories in here.

edit:Sorry OP if i've gone a bit off topic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As much as I love the Pete Rock & CL Smooth albums, Gangstarr have a better discography. And it's a real consistent discog as well. I dont think that either of the PR&CLS albums come near to touching Moment of Truth.
    But, they probably do have 2 songs that are better than all of Gangstarrs songs, T.R.O.Y. and The Main Ingredient.
    Gangstarr also created 2 solid solo artists, only Pete Rock went on to be noteworthy.
    Gangstarr also were pivotal in the whole D&D outburst in the late 90's and have helped mold alot more artists.

So it's GangStarr that are the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Some great points there lads, for me CL is easier on the ears than guru, there's just something about guru's voice that doesn't sit well for me.

Premo smokes Pete Rock when it comes to scratching, that's not even debatable

TheBza wrote: »

edit:Sorry OP if i've gone a bit off topic

Not at all man anything pete rock and premo is relevant tbh :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If someone told me I was only allowed to listen to one or the other for the rest of my life and I had to choose with a gun to my head I'd pick gangstarr without even thinking about it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    If someone told me I was only allowed to listen to one or the other for the rest of my life and I had to choose with a gun to my head I'd pick gangstarr without even thinking about it.

Based on what man? Do you prefer gang starr as a whole or just the rapping or production etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think productionwise Pete Rock and Premo are on par with eachother but I'd rather listen to Guru than CL or Pete rapping.

Gangstarr have more good albums, more conistant albums and a bigger discog, tons of reasons really.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I couldn't pick or wouldn't pick , both are two major cornerstones of my hip hop love.

Alpha & Omega.

Advertisement