Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranging Passport Photos for Printing on 6 x 4

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm not sure how exactly these self service printing machines in shops work as only used them once.

The smallest size option available is generally 6 x 4.

I have an image re-sized to passport size, on a usb stick.

I want to print at least 4 of these in the single 6 x 4 size option.

Do I make a folder containing 4 copies of the files and will the machine then display all the files and decide how many will fit in the 6 x 4 size.

How does it work tnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

upload your single picture here http://www.idphoto4you.com/
    select the size
    make the composite file
    print that single jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

quilmore wrote: »
    select the size
    make the composite file
    print that single jpg

Thanks but I have the passport size image, its how to get it printed from one of these machines is what I'm enuiring about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Thanks but I have the passport size image, its how to get it printed from one of these machines is what I'm enuiring about.

I think the link provided brings you something that will produce a 4x6 for you to take to your photobooth and print - which will have 4, or 6 smaller images on the one 4x6 print - this, sized for official Irish use/requirements.

When you say you have your passport size image, how do you know that? I'm not suggesting that you don't know it, just curious as to how you do.

Think about it for a second. A photo booth will produce a 4x6 10x8 or any other available size from any image it is presented with. But they all aren't the same sized source images. Different cameras, megapixels, cropped images, etc....

How many ppi have you got in your image and how many dpi does the specific photo booth machine which you are going to print on have? If you have a match then perhaps you have a passport size image and if you print instructing the machine to not stretch or crop the image then you will get a single 4x6 with a single image which may be suitable. Print 4 times and then you have your passport printing done.

But to print one 4x6 with a number of copies of your image (4, or 6) you should produce a jpg in photoshop, the gimp, or something like that with 4, or 6 copies of your image on the one canvas and use that to print.

The other thing to be very weary of - Just be really careful because the passport people are very sticky on photograph requirements. If your eye line/jaw line/etc is a millimetre out of position, they are likely to return the whole lot to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

good link, that's what I needed.
    I tried to print my own but couldn't get the size perfect. I'll try it again in 9 years...

AnCatDubh wrote: »

When you say you have your passport size image, how do you know that? I'm not suggesting that you don't know it, just curious as to how you do.

Think about it for a second. A photo booth will produce a 4x6 10x8 or any other available size from any image it is presented with. But they all aren't the same sized source images. Different cameras, megapixels, cropped images, etc....

But to print one 4x6 with a number of copies of your image (4, or 6) you should produce a jpg in photoshop, the gimp, or something like that with 4, or 6 copies of your image on the one canvas and use that to print.

Its for a friend who just needs them to open credit union account, so doesn't have to be to perfect as for a passport.

I resized an image in Photoshop 7 to size which was just below the max size allowed.

As you suggested I'm going to create a 6 x 4 image in photoshop and fill it with these mini images, probably only take 4 anyway and save it. So hopefully that should print out as a single 6 x 4 with 4 mini images on it and all I need is just two anyway.

thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I'm going to create a 6 x 4 image in photoshop and fill it with these mini images

that link above does that for you
    have a try, upload that passport picture you have and see the result that comes after, it's what you're saying you're going to do in ps
    or at least do it to see what the one you're doing should be like so you get multiple pics in the single 6x4

have a try, upload that passport picture you have and see the result that comes after, it's what you're saying you're going to do in ps
    or at least do it to see what the one you're doing should be like so you get multiple pics in the single 6x4

thanks quilmore, will definitely check that out tomorrow, for anyone like myself who may only be doing stuff like this occassionaly, I found this. jpeg joiner, and its virtually idiot proof:D

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/JPEG-Joiner-Download-77805.html

Excellent little tool all right, I didn't realise that it makes multiple images in a single file, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

select the size
    make the composite file
    print that single jpg

Excellent tool
    Thanks for the link
    Should save a lot of money:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

EyeCake wrote: »
    Should save a lot of money:)

Well, about €4.89c assuming the taking of your photo is acceptable for the form of identity issuer and that you don't have to go a second time with it (€5 is the photo store fee, less 11c that you'll pay for a 4x6 print assuming you were running it through with a quantity of other photos, and assuming your electricity, camera, computer, and time are all for free :pac:). That said, in fairness every little helps and over your life with multiple forms of identity needed then you could save a few hundred yoyo's probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

select the size
    make the composite file
    print that single jpg

Great link. Used it myself a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Great link. Used it myself a few minutes ago

That is brilliant! Many thanks!

Advertisement