Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering online from the GRO

Options
  • 11-04-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I've never ordered anything from the GRO before but have decided to bite the bullet to get me past a few online dead ends (no pun intended).

I filled out the order forms and tried faxing to the GRO (trying the 2 separate fax numbers on the form and their website), but both numbers seem to have been engaged all day. Has anyone else tried today, or am I doing something wrong?

Is it possible to order photocopies from the GRO online? I went through the process most of the way but didn't see an option to get a photocopy as opposed to the official certs. Also, the entry fields don't seem very conducive to genealogical requests, eg specifying the volume and page.

How do you all normally do it - by post alone, or fax, or online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

mostly by post, occasionally in person in Dublin research room.

The online system is much dearer and you dont seem to be able to use the index references.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Don't be too worried about using the application form. I regularly just send letters with the relevant info - name, type of record, year, quarter (if known), volume and page number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Always by post in my case. They are pretty efficent and have called me a few times regarding search results.

Always by post in my case. They are pretty efficent and have called me a few times regarding search results.

The GRO staff have access to 'computerized' (I do love that RootsIreland word!) records so if you get a staff member on the phone it's a great chance to try and fill in a few research gaps.

Once on a call with a staff member I was able to rule about about 6 index possibilities for the birth of a person with a common name before ordering the correct cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

OK, thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Don't be too worried about using the application form. I regularly just send letters with the relevant info - name, type of record, year, quarter (if known), volume and page number.

How much do they charge for postage?

If a cert photocopy costs 4 Euro, and you order 6, is the total cost 24 Euro incl. postage or do they charge you extra?

€4 usually covers the cert and the postage - in Ireland anyway.
    Never heard of anyone being charged more than that for a research cert as long as there's no search required - i.e. the references are provided and correct

shanew wrote: »
    €4 usually covers the cert and the postage - in Ireland anyway.

Never heard of anyone being charged more than that for a research cert as long as there's no search required - i.e. the references are provided and correct

Including Northern Ireland shanew?

The reason I ask is because although I live in Dundalk, my family home (where my mother lives) is in Bessbrook, South Armagh. I'm ordering a brave good number and I'd rather send them to her address for the simple reason that the service on the street where I live is very poor and I don't trust them. :(

I live on a street full of apartment buildings and the post is always getting delivered to the wrong address!

Including Northern Ireland - know someone from N.I. that frequently orders from Roscommon, and he has said they charge him €4 (much cheaper than certs GRONI).

There might be currency commission charges by your credit card company if it's not in Euro, so they might work out a little more than €4

Same as above, I live in NYC and have never had to pay extra for postage. Just 4yoyo per cert will do.

I get a family member in Ireland (RoI) to send a check for payment.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Just noticed this, and I had asked the GRO this question earlier this year

"In the past I have printed off the application forms and faxed the filled in forms to yourselves, when requesting research photocopies, and that was fine. Having had to replace my old fax/scanner, I no longer have the fax function. I was wondering, since I can include my scanned filled in forms as an attachment, would it be possible to email them to this, or another, email address ?"

and bearing in mind that the credit card info is on the filled in form anyway, I received this reply,

"Yes that is OK if it suits yourself you can use gro@groireland.ie"

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Has anyone got updated information regarding ordering certs online?

I was going to scan my application forms and e-mail them to the address mentioned above. I e-mailed them 2 days ago to confirm they will accept, and haven't received a reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I tried that and they mailed back to say they'd accept it just this once, but weren't happy from a security point of view.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah, okay, thanks for the info.

Personally I'd find it more secure via e-mail.

The last application I made to the GRO contained 8 euro cash; the letter was opened and the cash robbed prior to them receiving it. They phoned me to inform me what had happened, and I was going to send them another 8 euro but they kindly sent me the documents without getting paid for them.

It's easier for someone to open the letter and take my credit card details from the document while it lies in a postbox than it is to hack my e-mails.

Guess I'll wait another day or two and see will they reply to my e-mail, if not it's back to postal applications.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I tried that and they mailed back to say they'd accept it just this once, but weren't happy from a security point of view.

Yet if you go in person to the Dublin GRO and ask for more than 5 certs, they'll happily e-mail you the rest. The last time I was in I had 5 on the day, and 12 e-mailed - no problem! They weren't the first e-mailed to me either. :confused:

it's accepting the order by email is the security concern as your credit card information is not secure. There's has been an option on the downloadable order forms to deliver certs by email since around the time they merged with the Welfare.ie website.

shanew wrote: »
    it's accepting the order by email is the security concern as your credit card information is not secure.

Aaaaah, now I'm with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Just to let you know how I do it! I use www.hellofax.com as a fax option to send off the form, I tick the email back option which is very handy because you have a copy in your emails too.. I've been using the Credit Card details for about 3 years now on the form both postal and fax options and never had any issue with it!

• Advertisement

dido2 wrote: »
    Just to let you know how I do it! I use www.hellofax.com as a fax option to send off the form, I tick the email back option which is very handy because you have a copy in your emails too.. I've been using the Credit Card details for about 3 years now on the form both postal and fax options and never had any issue with it!

Well I never heard back from them regarding e-mailing the form through to them, so I'll give the fax option a go instead.

Thanks for the info :)

dido2 wrote: »

I went with your suggestion and used HelloFax, just curious if you remember how long it took them to e-mail you on the certs?

I've made some exciting new discoveries after a very long dry spell and am rather eagerly awaiting the proof... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

2-5 working days is the norm - it's not really any quicker, but more convenient to have a scan!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Normally about a week from sending the fax to getting the emailed certs!!!!!

They sent me an e-mail to confirm they had received my fax, so was hoping I might receive something a bit sooner than if I'd done it by post. Oh well, definitely handier have a digital copy! :)

Advertisement