Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad - being reassessed as dependent

Options
  • 11-04-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey guys, got a phone call from SUSI this week a couple of months after I was told that I was getting the post grad grant to pay my fees but because I was dependent on my parents for the first year of my original level 7 course( been living on my own for over 4 years now) and didn't take a break from education that I was flagged by their auditors and have to be reassessed as a dependent.

Now the problem is I left my course in mid January due to a severe medical condition that I was diagnosed with. At the point in which I left I hadn't completed any exams because I was absent with this illness. I figured that ok, since I've gotten the grant, my fees are covered but understood that if i was to return next year I would have to pay full fees which i was ok with doing. Now they are going to send me out some forms for my parents to fill in as I am "dependent"(apparently).

My question is will they make me pay the full fees for this year even though I dont attend anymore? I didn't give the college any formal letter of leaving or anything, I just informed the head of department assuming she would take care of it. The thing is I think I'm still down as a registered student, as in she never did anything about it.

If anyone could shed some light on this situation it would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's upto the fees office - you need to contact them and ask them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Magic-SG1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, got a phone call from SUSI this week a couple of months after I was told that I was getting the post grad grant to pay my fees but because I was dependent on my parents for the first year of my original level 7 course( been living on my own for over 4 years now) and didn't take a break from education that I was flagged by their auditors and have to be reassessed as a dependent.

Now the problem is I left my course in mid January due to a severe medical condition that I was diagnosed with. At the point in which I left I hadn't completed any exams because I was absent with this illness. I figured that ok, since I've gotten the grant, my fees are covered but understood that if i was to return next year I would have to pay full fees which i was ok with doing. Now they are going to send me out some forms for my parents to fill in as I am "dependent"(apparently).

My question is will they make me pay the full fees for this year even though I dont attend anymore? I didn't give the college any formal letter of leaving or anything, I just informed the head of department assuming she would take care of it. The thing is I think I'm still down as a registered student, as in she never did anything about it.

If anyone could shed some light on this situation it would be very much appreciated!

Hi there,

If you would like, you may PM me the following details and I can then review your application and advise you further.

Application reference number.

Date of Birth.

Mothers Maiden name.

Home Address.

Kind regards,
    Robbie
    SuSi Support

Advertisement