Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folder permissions win server 2008

Options
  • 11-04-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

What is best practice with regards folder permissions for this...

When users open the T: drive there is a list of dept folders, I dont want them to be able to add/delete files or folders here, but they can have full access within the dept folders

Thanks,

Rossin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Move the subfolders you don't want them to have access to

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Thats not what I mean...

When users open the T: drive they're given a list of dept folders. I want the T: drive to always looks like that, so changes are only made within the dept folders. for instance I open the drive today and I could see the 10 dept folders and then there was a folder with someones photos at the end of it :)

Ooops! :-)

Ok, I have something similar

T Drive, is actually a share? So share permissions will be for all authenticated users to read

Then set group permissions on each of the sub folders for each of the departments

e.g

t drive share \\server\share all authenticated users read
    t:\accounts - Accounts groups & domain admins (or whatever you need to backup) - read, write modify

and so on

Okay i'll try that.

One more for you question for you!

If I give the dept head full access to their dept and normal users read, write & modify access, what does that actually stop the normal users from doing? Like what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Full Control have give/remove other people rights over the files / folders.
    Rossin wrote: »
    Okay i'll try that.

If I give the dept head full access to their dept and normal users read, write & modify access, what does that actually stop the normal users from doing? Like what is the difference?

• Advertisement

thanks bacon, gotcha

And don't forget to remove inherited rights from top folder.

Once everything is in place, you will obviously need to check from each users perspective that they can see only what they should see
    Rossin wrote: »
    Okay i'll try that.

Sund, thanks kaiser

Advertisement