Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you an Agnostic ?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Why are you an agnostic or agnostic atheist ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Of all the possible gods described by humanity there still is a slight possibility that one or more of them exists because I can never know anything for certain.:)
    Ignostic towards all possible gods yet to be conceptualised by humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Geomy wrote: »

Agnostic Atheist because while I don't believe there are any gods, I don't think anyone can truly know or prove if there are any gods.

While we don't know or can't prove the existence of a god or gods, I simply don't think it's a likely scenario that they exist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jernal wrote: »
    Of all the possible gods described by humanity there still is a slight possibility that one or more of them exists because I can never know anything for certain

The way I look at it is, even if one of them were proven to exist, that still doesn't mean I'd call them god.
    So, I'm atheist and not even slightly agnostic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I just don't know......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cus im lazy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's mostly because of my teen angst and rebellion against my parents making me clean my room.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mother ticked the wrong box on the census :(

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Why not?

;)

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Uh, coz I hate god?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

1 - Explaining something apparently unexplicable with "it's God's will!" is no different than saying "it's aliens!" or "it's magic!". The lazy way to approach a problem, where the desirable one would be "we don't understand how this happens...yet; We need to research and investigate";

2 - Anywhere but religion, if something can't be proven with hard evidence, it doesn't exist / didn't happen; Don't see why this shouldn't apply to religious beliefs too;

On a more lighthearted note if there was such thing as a God (or Goddess, why does it need to be a man?), why doesn't he/she brag about it all the time? I mean, if I was to be omniscient and almighty, I'd be making my presence visible and felt all the time (turning sea into lemonade for fun? Check. Directing a lightning bolt to that scumbag assaulting schoolgirls? Check. MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANY CHILD TO BE BORN WITH DISABILITIES, SUFFER STARVATION OR ABUSE? HELL YEAH, CHECK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Do you consider there to be a difference or simply phrasing it like that to include all possible respondants?

Anyway, agnostic atheist.

I don't believe in any gods, but acknowledge that I can't know for certain there are none, defined or undefined (Not sure if that technically falls under ignosticism or not, but agnostic atheist is already a mouthful.)

My atheism comes from my assumption* that the observed universe is real.
    In it I find no gods.
    My agnosticism from the knowledge that the universe has not been fully observed.
    Gods may be where I have not looked.

*An argument for agnosticism could be made from this too, but I hate discussions which question this assumption, and most reasonable people are either happy to accept this assumption, or wonder why I bother calling it an assumption. The answer to which being technical accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's just a phase I'm going through.

endacl wrote: »
    I'm not sure.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

A friend of mine reckons it's better to be a theist because he has someone to talk to when he's getting a 8!0w )0§

A friend of mine reckons it's better to be a theist because he has someone to talk to when he's getting a 8!0w )0§
    He always has somebody to talk to. The responses may be a bit.... bubbly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What?

What?

Ohhhh God ohhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What?

I think it is because Geomy isn't allowed to type blowjob for some reason so he just implies/kinda types it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What?

8= B
    ! = l
    0 = O
    w = w

) = j
    0 = O
    § = presumably B but with a change in tone for erotic emphasis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Over Easter, my BiL mentioned that I was an agnostic (I can't remember the context, though I'm sure it had something to do with eggs, or crosses).

"I'm not an agnostic" I snorted.

I'm a 7 on the Dawkins' scale.

endacl wrote: »
    He always has somebody to talk to. The responses may be a bit.... bubbly though!

If he's talking to god I doubt he's looking for a response.

I wonder if this counts as another one of those 'Gives credit to god for other peoples work' things?

Sycopat wrote: »

I wonder if this counts as another one of those 'Gives credit to god for other peoples work' things?
    Yeah. God sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nono, I got that bit. It's the entire sentence which I don't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

All together now "I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus ... " :pac:

Nono, I got that bit. It's the entire sentence which I don't get

That's ok sure you get the gist of it anyway....
    I'm a layman and speak in my local dialect,sorry if you couldn't get the sentence.

Whata dlanguage do you dunderstand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Zombrex wrote: »
    All together now "I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus ... " :pac:

That explains this

0-hookers-4-jesus.jpg

hooker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

I read the Bible. That's when I started to go, "ah here ... it's all a load of crap really, isn't it?"

And now I believe in what I can see around me, and I don't worry about spending eternity in hell because I accidentally stepped on a snail the other day and squished it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've been finding myself getting more and more gnostic recently. It is possible that the existence of gods can be proven, it only takes the slightest bit of effort on a god's part to provide this proof. If they can't be bothered to prove they exist then I will take it as read that they don't.

Advertisement