Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone make their own cables?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,
    Ideally I'm looking for someone to make me 5 good quality cables (maybe even a couple of patch cables too - I need like 40 :pac: )
    4x 15ft Instrument Cables
    1x 2.5ft Speaker Cable
    Can someone help?
    I'll of course pay for these

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Probably not what you want to hear, but sounds like a good opportunity to make your own and be able to repair them in the future without having to pay through the nose to replace them...would you not consider that?

I made all my own XLR/instrument cables a couple of months ago, over 20 of them. Was time consuming as I had never done it before, but glad I did, as I can choose exactly what cable and connector I want and can quickly fix or make a cable confidently if needed.

I know, probably of no use at all! :D But for such a small run of cables you'd be better off doing it yourself in the long run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

I make all my own, have done for years. XLRs, looms, EDACs, guitar, hifi, even made a DB-25-to-surround fan a couple of years back (now that was a PItA). It's time-consuming, but at least you know they are good and not made by sweatshop slaves in some non-union factory. For the price of a couple of readymade XLRs you can buy a whole roll of VanDamme cable and make all the cables you'll ever need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I make all my own for installs. Very time consuming though. Having cables just the right length makes things so much neater.

I've still to master the db-25 though. Have one to build and I'm putting it on the loooong finger.

Tell you what. I'll make your's if you pay trout mask to do up a db - 25 for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ok, I've ordered to following (I had to cheap out a bit on the jacks due to cost)
    110 foot of Canare GS-6
    70x Amphenol ACPM-RB-AU
    50x Amphenol ACPM-GB-AU

Thats enough to make 4 Guitar Cables and up to 56 patch cables (though I will only need 46 - 48).
    Anyone interested in helping, just drop me a pm

Don't mean to come across as a know-it-all here. Those Amphenol connectors are great - in the Switchcraft style. They have compression clamp style strain relief ( bend over metal tags that you press onto the cable. The only issue with these is that they don't adequately prevent the cable from twisting in extreme conditions. Don't worry, they're fine for pedalboards, pedal interconnects etc. They're not great for situations where the cable will be tugged, twisted or subjected to abuse. After years of using Switchcraft-tipped guitar cables (and repairing them periodically) I switched to Neutrik because of the superior strain relief: there is a set of grips which are tightened onto the cable by the threaded assembly that holds the housing together. That and the Neutrik Silent jack, which is IMO the greatest advance in guitar cables in 20 years. So maybe consider a few Neutriks for the cables going to your guitar at least.

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    I make all my own for installs. Very time consuming though. Having cables just the right length makes things so much neater.

I've still to master the db-25 though. Have one to build and I'm putting it on the loooong finger.

Tell you what. I'll make your's if you pay trout mask to do up a db - 25 for me. :)

Haha :pac: I feel your pain! I had to make a db-25 to tails for our (now retired, anyone want one?) Tascam DM 3200. We bought the surround card and when I went looking through our cable box for a db-25, I realised that I had thrown it out during a clean-up!! My bad. So, i felt guilty for being a wasteful boy, and decided to solder up my own. It took hours and hours - and I'll only say this: never again.
    Mind you, the one I made still works.

TroutMask wrote: »
    Don't mean to come across as a know-it-all here. Those Amphenol connectors are great - in the Switchcraft style. They have compression clamp style strain relief ( bend over metal tags that you press onto the cable. The only issue with these is that they don't adequately prevent the cable from twisting in extreme conditions. Don't worry, they're fine for pedalboards, pedal interconnects etc. They're not great for situations where the cable will be tugged, twisted or subjected to abuse. After years of using Switchcraft-tipped guitar cables (and repairing them periodically) I switched to Neutrik because of the superior strain relief: there is a set of grips which are tightened onto the cable by the threaded assembly that holds the housing together. That and the Neutrik Silent jack, which is IMO the greatest advance in guitar cables in 20 years. So maybe consider a few Neutriks for the cables going to your guitar at least.

Yeah, gonna pick up 8 Neutrik Connectors for the cables between the guitar, amp and FX send and returns. Do you need to get the "silent connector" for both ends of the guitar cable, or just the end that plugs into the guitar?
    Thanks for the advice

You only need one Silent, on the end that goes into the guitar. If you want to get fancy, you can put a straight Silent on one end and a right-angle silent on the other end - then you can accomodate any kind of guitar.

TroutMask wrote: »
    You only need one Silent, on the end that goes into the guitar. If you want to get fancy, you can put a straight Silent on one end and a right-angle silent on the other end - then you can accomodate any kind of guitar.

Thats ok. My 3 guitars use straight inputs.
    Now i have to hope and pray Redco haven't already shipped my order so I can add these 8 connectors.
    If I can't add them, is there anywhere I could order maybe 10 connectors (including 1 silent one) without paying nose-bleed postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I do it for as a big part of my living now.

The secret to cable making is good tools and cleanliness. It's a long way from rocket science.

If you're going to make cables regularly,or have a lot to make, spend few bob at the beginning. Life will be immeasurably simpler and cables better.

Also regarding D25s I use a small iron and thin solder - makes sense don't you think on a small connection ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement