Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders eat bats everywhere

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THey say Antarctica is the only place it can be avoided but I'm pretty sure there's no Irish spiders that predate on bats? Could be wrong, have seen some pretty big spiders (by irish standards anyway) in a few caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Yeah, there's no mention of Europe at all in that article. Before focusing in on Ireland, I'd like to hear about some European examples. Which spider species are eating which bat species? I don't know much about spiders - what size would this continents biggest spiders be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Hollzy wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no mention of Europe at all in that article. Before focusing in on Ireland, I'd like to hear about some European examples. Which spider species are eating which bat species? I don't know much about spiders - what size would this continents biggest spiders be?

I've heard people mention both the fishing/raft spider:

close-up-of-a-raft-spider-hunting-a-fish-dolomedes-fimbriatus.jpg

and the Andalusian funnelweb (Macrothele calpeiana) as some of Europe's largest spiders.

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=dct0LvbzQdm3zM&tbnid=yZ_xSTJpQTFKjM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm3.static.flickr.com%2F2397%2F2348718080_0eb530d709.jpg&ei=gzppUYKyFKXq2QXi2oDIAg&psig=AFQjCNG9WIZ_8A5fSehEyJBajNigU4dMAg&ust=1365937155366112

But considering their habitats and lifestyles I doubt they eat many bats...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

It would be interesting to see some reports of this in Europe... I've been googling for a while but haven't really found anything of interest.

Advertisement