Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet speeds

Options
  • 10-04-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi all,
    if I have a PCI ethernet card that says the speed is 10/100/1000 does this mean it can only run at those speeds or can it go at any speed in between ?
    Specifically, if I connected to a powerline 500 Mbps would it be at 500 or would it be stuck at 100 ?

Also, is the powerline 500 counting up and down together, so it's really 250Mbps download/transfer speed ?

thanks in advance, as you can see I know nothing about this.

F.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What you have is a gigabit ethernet card. Yes for powerlines I think it goes 250 up and 250 down.

If your switch is 100 than it would be stuck at 100 unfortunately. Obviously if your broadband connection is 10mb than speeds to the outside world won't be 250 up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The 500Mbit (which is highly optimistic, you'll never see quarter of that) is the speed the powerline adapters talk to each other at, they will connect to your pci card at ethernet (10/100) or gigabit speeds (10/100/1000), depending on which is slower. Most likely that they have gigabit ethernet (10/100/1000) interfaces. As Mr. G said, you could have a bottleneck further down the line if you're connecting the powerline to an ethernet (10/100) router.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Thanks.

Just for anyone else interested, apparently there are also powerline adaptors that say speed of 500 (over the power line) but only have a 10/100 ethernet port on them, so no matter what else you have, you're restricted right away. Also, since 500 isn't much more expensive than 200 and both those numbers are overstated, 500 might be better to stay above the 100 threshold.

Understood about the broadband connection.

F.

Advertisement