Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All The Snooker Knockers

Options
  • 10-04-2013 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

In just ten days time the blue ribband event of the snooker season the world championship begins. For 17 days the eyes of the snooker world will be on the crucible theatre in Sheffield as the drama unfolds.

For every snooker fan out there it's the climax to another snooker season but its also the time the snooker haters and knockers come out of the woodwork for their annual dig at the game.

Renowned snooker write Dave Hendon sums up the art of snooker knocking in this excellent piece........

http://snookerscene.blogspot.ie/2013/04/how-to-write-snooker-knocking-piece.html?m=1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Read that piece the other day, very very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Interesting read all right. I'd say people can start to hate it as it disrupts the BBC schedule for 17 days. That's what made me dislike bowls!

I'm a sports fan in general, be it soccer, rugby or GAA, but snooker has something different. It's an individual sport OK, but more than that I think it has this kind of tension you just don't get in a lot of other sports. The sports mentioned above can have tension, especially the last 5 mins of an Ireland match if we're winning 1-0! But snooker, when players start missing shots due to tension, and that causes the pressure to build, is great to watch!

I love watching the cat and mouse type frames, when it comes down to the colours and next pot wins kinda thing. Or players trying to get/get out of snookers. That's better than the break building part for me.

Or great times like in 2003 when Doherty made all the comebacks. I wish there'll be some Irish interest this year, come on Ken!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Has anyone got a like to an example of such an article?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Glenman wrote: »
    Has anyone got a like to an example of such an article?

I'd say by Sunday they will start appearing !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I really dont think there are any knockers at all. Know it alls maybe but i couldnt say knockers. But youve got the same with all major sport finals incl Tennis grand slams, golf majors etc. An influx of people throng the forums and column inches with big opinions but without a scoobydoo etc. No harm in it.
    He just needed to rename knockers to 'experts'!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I really dont think there are any knockers at all. Know it alls maybe but i couldnt say knockers. But youve got the same with all major sport finals incl Tennis grand slams, golf majors etc. An influx of people throng the forums and column inches with big opinions but without a scoobydoo etc. No harm in it.
    He just needed to rename knockers to 'experts'!!

+1

In truth, while it is a good piece - this is more the sort of stuff you hear from an average Joe Soap than from journos. Even my dad is guilty of it and he watches snooker a lot more than most. Always reminded of the great 'characters' of the 1980s.

The thing about great 'characters' from the past - they were usually characters for the wrong reasons. Alex Higgins, George Best, John McEnroe etc they were all characters because they combined tremendous skill with either womanising,gambling,drinking or more specifically to McEnroe outrageously bad sportsmanship having a go at umpires and knowingly putting opponents off their rhythm.

In modern sports, to be a top sportsman those sort of traits just won't cut it. You can't go on the lash every other night anymore and be a top soccer player. You can't have a pop at refs or umpires every 5 mins, you'd be setting a bad example for the children!

It's not the characters that have changed, sport and life have changed.

Advertisement