Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocal or Fibre Glass roof

Options
  • 10-04-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Hi We are having a flat roof extension built, not flat but 5 or 6 degrees fall

40 sqm

Originally a Trocal roof was mentioned as the best solution, another party has mentioned Fibre Glass instead of Trocal

Would love to hear peoples views on both products , and price wise are they similar

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

First off, any chance of the roof being walked on? If so, don't use Trocal. Otherwise they are both good materials. Getting an installer who knows what they are doing is much more important. Also make sure you get a guarantee of at least 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I've never had any major problems with trocal.

I agree that the work should come with a warranty. Having recently priced a re-roof, the maximum defects warranty on offer was 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

if it is intended to enclose the roof with a parapet wall - i would suggest you reconsider and leave one of the side parapet walls down to allow roof to fall to a gutter. This way if there any problems with outlets blocking or roof membrane getting punctured that the potential damage is limited.

con1982 wrote: »
    I've never had any major problems with trocal.

I agree that the work should come with a warranty. Having recently priced a re-roof, the maximum defects warranty on offer was 10 years.

Nor me (any problems with Trocal) but I wouldn't use it for a walk-on roof.
    You'll get a 20 or 25 year guarantee if you shop around, but it will cost more than the 10 year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

kieranhr wrote: »
    First off, any chance of the roof being walked on? If so, don't use Trocal. QUOTE]

I wouldn't use fibreglass either if you wish to walk on it.

To be fair there are very few flat roof products that will allow you to walk on. The likes of Bauder will but the cost is nuts for a standard flat roof.

If its a standard flat roof trocal, fibreglass, parlon are all fine.

• Advertisement

Ah no, Fibreglass done properly is very robust, there's no problem with walking on it. A google search for 'fibreglass balconies' will reveal plenty of companies using it for this application, some of which offer 25-year guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi We are having a flat roof extension built, not flat but 5 or 6 degrees fall

40 sqm

Originally a Trocal roof was mentioned as the best solution, another party has mentioned Fibre Glass instead of Trocal

Would love to hear peoples views on both products , and price wise are they similar

Thanks

We put a flat roof extension on the back of the house last year and put a Trocal roof on, 40sqm like yourself and we are very happy with it. With regards to walking on it I would only walk on it on a day when it isn't too sunny and I normally walk barefoot on it. Saying that I'd only go up on twice a year to clear falling moss from the main roof off it. I've attached a pic of the roof for you. If you want details of the fitter etc pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 broke

This might be a bit late but we got one done in April using fire stone rubber cover e.p.d.m. from snip they have a vid on the web site, good to have a look to see how it is done. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

fibre glass seems to be all the rage now and i have actually done a little bit of it myself,i am not particulary good at it though but have succesfully done a few jobs like akward valleys against walls and between a roof peaks where lead stepped valleys would cause height issues.you need to be careful though of a serious condensation issue underneath plywood which i can only licken to a galvanise corrugated roof without felt unless you use the appropriate roof buid up underneath which is not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Worked in the industry for years.....used both products...pm me if you want to have a chat to go through various products (suitabality of membrane) specs, warranties, details, etc

• Advertisement

Hi What do you mean build up of roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rock12

You could also use a metal roof which would have a tolerance of 5 degree pitch depending on the product. This used with a warm roof detail would give in my opinion a warm and long lasting roof.

You can get tile effect and slate effect with insulation glued to the underneath which is great job. City west used this for the main roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

broke wrote: »
    You can get tile effect and slate effect with insulation glued to the underneath which is great job. City west used this for the main roof.

Any link available ?

I think the company that does it is <snip>

broke wrote: »
    I think the company that does it is snip

thanks. Email bounced but I'll try phone in the morning.

please keep company recommendations to PM thanks

We got held up and the weather turned so hoping to get something on the roof this month. We have 2 small areas, one a garage roof and the other a peice of the side of the house. Garage is about 3x4m while the size if 5m x 0.6m. Priced EPDM and its coming avg about 1k. Would it be worth my while priced trocal or would it be more expesive. Not that the ply is already in place and its no corners, all straight runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magum55

dwiseman wrote: »
    We put a flat roof extension on the back of the house last year and put a Trocal roof on, 40sqm like yourself and we are very happy with it. With regards to walking on it I would only walk on it on a day when it isn't too sunny and I normally walk barefoot on it. Saying that I'd only go up on twice a year to clear falling moss from the main roof off it. I've attached a pic of the roof for you. If you want details of the fitter etc pm me.

What is the cost of the Trocal roof like yours thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Just to add, re walking

you need to be careful walking on Trocal,

sometimes , you get small 5mm hard materials , perhaps, washed off (in rain) from an adjoining convential roof possible from roof tiles

If you walk on one of these, you could create a small puncture in the trocal

If I ever need to walk on my Trocal, I bring up a soft brush and brush / remove and debris

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The other thing to remember is when they talk of a huge warranty, 10 or 20 years, that's just for the product itself... Not the installation... So say something breaks down and leaks after a year, or even 10, you get on to trocal, who send a rep... And it turns out the original approved installer didn't fit it quite right... Well you're on your own...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Markcheese wrote: »
    The other thing to remember is when they talk of a huge warranty, 10 or 20 years, that's just for the product itself... Not the installation... So say something breaks down and leaks after a year, or even 10, you get on to trocal, who send a rep... And it turns out the original approved installer didn't fit it quite right... Well you're on your own...

Check list of installers with manufacture, and spec Joint warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

BryanF wrote: »
    Check list of installers with manufacture, and spec Joint warranty
    Best option, but something I hadn't thought of till there was an issue,
    In fairness the installer rectified it, but there was a bit of grandstanding...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Just about to start extension and arch is between sika trocal or burn on felt roof. I’d like option to walk on it if I want without being too worried so I am leaning towards fiberglass. What do people think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Fyi I recently got a quote of fiberglass for 95euro per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ricardo111

WOW , love that roof do you have a number for the guy who did it, i have frencg doors and 2 windows , but i like that sun roof, look class, good on you :)

Advertisement