Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project maths definitions

Options
  • 10-04-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Does anyone have a list of defininitions we need to know for honours level project maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You don't need to know any definitions. You need to be able to explain any term or idea that you encounter on the course.

So, if you come across some mathematical term that you don't understand, ask your teacher what it means. Once you understand things, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

A definition would do that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Isn't there definitions though? Like for eg in statistics with different types of samplings? And in the mocks we were ask to define an axiom and a theorem and explain the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

peekachoo wrote: »
    Isn't there definitions though? Like for eg in statistics with different types of samplings? And in the mocks we were ask to define an axiom and a theorem and explain the difference :)

Yeah that's what I thought!

Or the fundemental principal of counting etc

God, Project Maths is turning maths into a science subject almost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Funny you say that, the only reason I knew those definitions was from the biology course!

Lol yeah its ridiculous.

they've also done away with a lot of essential maths like matrices and a good chunk of calculus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I think you'll find that the instruction "Define..." has not appeared on any official project maths exam papers (i.e., SEC ones).

On the other hand, "Explain..." appears quite often.

If you were asked to explain something, a definition MIGHT get the marks - I don't know for sure. It might depend on the term concerned. I repeat that, in my view, the best way to be prepared to explain any term you encounter, is to try to make sure you understand all the terms you use. That's not unreasonable is it? On the other hand, it would be crazy to try to learn off a definition of very single maths term you encounter. That would drive you nuts, and it's neither helpful nor necessary: definition of an equation, definition of a function, definition of a real number, definition of a triangle, definition of perimeter, definition of area, definition of a variable, definition of a line, ... this is the surest route to lunacy.

I don't think I ever learned off definitions of any of those things, but I could still explain any of them if I was asked. (In fact, I could probably construct a definition of each of them on the hoof as well, because I understand them.)

Certainly there are occasions where it's useful in maths to have a clear definition of things; definitions are a regular feature of formal courses in maths. And often a definition IS he best way to explain something. But defining and explaining are not the same thing. There are terms in the geometry course that are given explicit definitions, so I suppose you could learn them if you want. They're given on page 44 of the syllabus, which is here.

As for the different kinds of sampling, if you understand what each of them is and the pros and cons of each, then you'll be able to explain them if asked. Ideally, you'll have conducted statistical investigations in which you had to consider these different kinds of sampling when planning your investigation; that's probably the best way to get to understand such things.

Advertisement