Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem and high gas bills

Options
  • 10-04-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi There,

Not sure if the two are related but firstly there is a constant sound of gushing and dropping (at the same time) water coming from our storage tank, its driving me nuts! There is a small stream of water constantly coming from the rim in one of the toilets aswell, dont know if the two are related?

Also our gas bills with AT are through the roof, maybe thats for another day:rolleyes:, for the time being I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise me on what to do with the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

jdq wrote: »
    Hi There,

Not sure if the two are related but firstly there is a constant sound of gushing and dropping (at the same time) water coming from our storage tank, its driving me nuts! There is a small stream of water constantly coming from the rim in one of the toilets aswell, dont know if the two are related?

Also our gas bills with AT are through the roof, maybe thats for another day:rolleyes:, for the time being I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise me on what to do with the above.

Thanks

If your toilet cistern is overfilling its overfilling into the toilet like you describe. Then in turn your attic tank will always be filling as long as your toilet is.
    As for the gas bill, have you any heating controls ( room/cylinder stats ) or is it just a time clock that turns the boiler on and off. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

Thanks, any idea how I can stop the toilet overfilling??

The heating and water are on two separate timers with a thermostat in the hall, never paid much attention to the thermostat to be honest:o its at 20 degrees by the looks of it...

Thanks, any idea how I can stop the toilet overfilling??

The heating and water are on two separate timers with a thermostat in the hall, never paid much attention to the thermostat to be honest:o its at 20 degrees by the looks of it...

Turn it down to 18 degrees and see how the heat in the house feels. Turn up by one if you feel it too cold. A boiler service would certainly be no harm too.
    As for the toilet, take off the lid and gently lift the ballcock up. Does it stop the water coming from it?

No it only make it worse and I can only lift it slightly without breaking it, it will push down but that doesnt make any difference either, I've tried removing some water from the cistern altogether but it quickly fills back up to a point where the water is spilling over in to the centerpice inside the cistern and back in to the bowl (if that makes sense) Not that I know obviously, but it seems like something simple! Any other thoughts?? Thanks

No it only make it worse and I can only lift it slightly without breaking it, it will push down but that doesnt make any difference either, I've tried removing some water from the cistern altogether but it quickly fills back up to a point where the water is spilling over in to the centerpice inside the cistern and back in to the bowl (if that makes sense) Not that I know obviously, but it seems like something simple! Any other thoughts?? Thanks

Hard to know unless my hands are on it. I'd say its time to call in a plumber. Preferably an RGI plumber who could have a look at yer gas too

• Advertisement

Sound, thanks for giving it a lash all the same!

Sound, thanks for giving it a lash all the same!

No bother

Advertisement