Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question on Buying Car in UK

Options
  • 10-04-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

HI
    Sorry if this has been covered before but I am thinking of bringing in a car from the UK and I was wondering do I have to pay the UK VAT on it. I see lots of prices showing before and after VAT so I was wondering as I will be taking it out of the UK what the story with VAT is

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

New or second-hand ???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you don't pay the UK vat then you will have to pay the Irish vat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ACTurbo

Thanks Niman

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

afaik, the only case where you can decide not to pay the UK VAT and pay the VAT in Ireland instead is if the car is less than 6 months old and has less than 6,000km on the clock.

But I may be wrong on that. That was the case for me when I bought a car in NI and imported it. I took it VAT free from UK, paid Irish VAT and VRT on the price.

Advertisement