Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought it was unlucky to re name a boat

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

I used to travel a lot years ago on the beatrix koningin ferry from roslaire to Fishguard , I see it was transferred in 2002 and re named the Stena Baltica.

Then I see last year it was sold and again re named SNAV Adriatico.

I was always under the impression that you should never change the name of a boat. It brings bad luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

But the whole luck thing is just a myth so it doesnt matter. The owner of the boat is probably a rational thinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

my cat's breath smells of cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Real Life wrote: »
    The owner of the boat is probably a rational thinker.

If he was rational he wouldn't own a boat in the first place. No amount of enjoyment from sailing could compensate for the risk of falling off the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It does not apply to big boats only the little ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

It does not apply to big boats only the little ones

So your saying big boats don't get bad luck, or crash / sink.....oooooooooyes they do

• Advertisement

So your saying big boats don't get bad luck, or crash / sink.....oooooooooyes they do

Name one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

summerskin wrote: »
    my cat's breath smells of cat food.

My cat's breath smells of death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Boats get re-named all the time. Usually when being sold on to other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Stena would be happy to see you referring to their vessels as boats.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Stena would be happy to see you referring to their vessels as boats.:pac:

If the boat floats ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Seachmall wrote: »
    Name one.

Titanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Titanic.

The MV Willhelm Gustloff. Makes the Titanic accident look like a grazed knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Real Life wrote: »
    But the whole luck thing is just a myth so it doesnt matter. The owner of the boat is probably a rational thinker.

I'm quite a rational thinker but i still don't think i'd like to sail on the stena titanic, or even worse still the stena "i'm unsinkable, go on i dare you, try to sink me, go on you big pussy"
    Rationally, i know it makes no difference - but i still aint getting on that boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I used to travel a lot years ago on the beatrix koningin ferry from roslaire to Fishguard , I see it was transferred in 2002 and re named the Stena Baltica.

Then I see last year it was sold and again re named SNAV Adriatico.

I was always under the impression that you should never change the name of a boat. It brings bad luck.

Boats that have not been renamed suffer bad luck. Does that mean that naming a boat is as much bad luck as renaming it, or is it just random actions that causes unfortunate incidents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

A name change doesn't make a ship sink. Load of baloney.

Lots of shipping lines change ships' names to make them fit into their corporate image, its been done for years.

Titanic.
    The Titanic was a big boat, was it?

Plebs.

*inserts monocle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Seachmall wrote: »
    The Titanic was a big boat, was it?

Plebs.

*inserts monocle*
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement