Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB fare calculator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Nifty feature, I've been overpaying my fare :( not anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is going to be added to the app in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Its been on the site a few weeks, its very useful and will be a welcome addition to the app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's good, but would probably be better suited if it was tied in more with the timetable section, or could be implemented to the map of the route from there.

The main audience for this, would be those unfamiliar with a route. Picked out one local to me as I knew of a road that's fairly long with a lot of stops on it. Unless you knew the estates next to the road, you wouldn't know which stop to pick. So not really useful for those unfamiliar with the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Very interesting. It certainly underlines how messed up their stage system is.

To traverse the same 8 stops along the South Circular between Rialto and Portobello is 3 stages on route 122, but 4 on route 68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

wench wrote: »
    Very interesting. It certainly underlines how messed up their stage system is.

To traverse the same 8 stops along the South Circular between Rialto and Portobello is 3 stages on route 122, but 4 on route 68

Yeah I think this will throw up a lot of inconsistencies. You should contact them with the info, hopefully it will be acted upon.

Kelly's Corner to Rialto is 4 stages on both routes?

The 3rd stage expires at Dolphin's Barn.

They've put the wrong stop as stage 31 in the 122 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was standing behind the driver on a DB recently waiting to get off at the next stop and noticed that on the driver's display it showed him the fares to the next three fare stages which means that if a person got on board and said they were going to XXX, he would just press the button beside the next fare stage and the correct cash fare would be shown or the correct Leap fare would be deducted if the passenger presented a Leap card.

However I've also noticed drivers press a button when they pull into a stop, does that mean that the system only works if the driver logs the fact that he has moved to the next stop - surely the GPS works out where he is and knows when he moves from one stop to the next so the system automatically calculates fares as he goes from stop to stop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GPS isn't set to the ticket machine at all. Driver has to manually adjust for the stops himself. Unsure if they have to do it per stop, or per stage though.

It's kind of odd getting on the bus with the machine set behind and the location you boarded on the ticket. Unsure what kind of info is on a leapcard if an inspector was to check it.

The driver has to update the stages manually, hence he would be updating them to where the bus actually was.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    Kelly's Corner to Rialto is 4 stages on both routes?

The 3rd stage expires at Dolphin's Barn.

They've put the wrong stop as stage 31 in the 122 list.

Other direction, from Anthony's Road to Harrington St

Rt 68
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fare-Calculator/Fare-Calculator-Results/?routeNumber=68&direction=I&board=59&alight=67

Rt 122
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fare-Calculator/Fare-Calculator-Results/?routeNumber=122&direction=I&board=15&alight=23

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The driver has to update the stages manually, hence he would be updating them to where the bus actually was.

So if he hasn't updated it for the past two or three stops, he will start overcharging passengers because they will appear to be boarding at previous stops.

That probably explains why Leap passengers are complaining about being overcharged on DB.

coylemj wrote: »
    So if he hasn't updated it for the past two or three stops, he will start overcharging passengers because they will appear to be boarding at previous stops.

That probably explains why Leap passengers are complaining about being overcharged on DB.

Yes of course if the driver does not update the stages then an incorrect ticket will be issued. That has been the case since time immemorial.

wench wrote: »

Again this is 4 stages. They have the 122 stages mixed up in that direction too.

The stop you are boarding at is between stages 68 and 69, and you are getting off between stages 71 and 72.

Therefore the fare is from stage 68 to stage 72, which is 4 stages.

In fact both routes have incorrectly labelled stops.

Plus ça change. Can they get this sort of detail right ever???

In fact both routes have incorrectly labelled stops.

Plus ça change. Can they get this sort of detail right ever???

Got to love the quality control there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you'd think they could integrate the driver's ticket machine with the GPS inside the bus to auto-update the stages.

you'd think they could integrate the driver's ticket machine with the GPS inside the bus to auto-update the stages.

That is in progress.

Advertisement