Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosopher mentioned in the film "Cloud Atlas"

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me track this down. Basically, the film contains a quote from a Russian philosopher that goes something like:

"You can control a man if you let him have something. Take away everything and he is no longer controllable???"

Anyone know who this is? If nothing, it'd be interesting to see just how badly I've butchered that quote:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure of the origin of your quote.

Not a Russian, rather an Oklahoman, Ken Wilber greatly influenced the plots found in Cloud Atlas. In his Sex, Ecology, Spirituality he attempted to merge the empirical with the mystical in an evolving consciousness. Cloud Atlas author David Mitchell appears to have been influenced by Wilber, as well an assortment of other philosophers, including Karl Marx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mzonei

IT was Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement