Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

courier not delivering to your home

Options
  • 10-04-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Having joined a new company I have deliveries sent to my home.
    To get couriers to deliver to your home in rural Ireland is next ni on impossible.yesterday a large international based courier of american origin insisted stat he would deliver to a shop along his route. He then said another person covered my area and when asked to pass this parcel onto the correct person to deliver. He said h could not do that. So again a shop in the village 6 miles away was my option.
    I called in today and asked them if they minded. The shop owner said that they were told by the courier that the recipient insisted on delivery to the shop. In my reply I said I did not know the shop existed till the courier insisted.

This is not the first or second or third Time but everytime and various courier companies.
    It is quite a conversation to try to get them to deliver and yesterday I just didn't spend the 10 minutes of arguing as to why they must deliver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi.
    To get couriers to deliver to your home in rural Ireland is next ni on impossible.yesterday a large international based courier of american origin insisted stat he would deliver to a shop along his route. He then said another person covered my area and when asked to pass this parcel onto the correct person to deliver. He said h could not do that. So again a shop in the village 6 miles away was my option.
    I called in today and asked them if they minded. The shop owner said that they were told by the courier that the recipient insisted on delivery to the shop. In my reply I said I did not know the shop existed till the courier insisted.

This is not the first or second or third Time but everytime and various courier companies.
    It is quite a conversation to try to get them to deliver and yesterday I just didn't spend the 10 minutes of arguing as to why they must deliver.
    Contact the courier company head office and make a complaint directly to them, Give as musc detail as you can about your adedress including a google maps link showing exactly where you are. this should allow them to figure out how best to serve your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Contact the courier company head office and make a complaint directly to them, Give as musc detail as you can about your adedress including a google maps link showing exactly where you are. this should allow them to figure out how best to serve your area.

Agreed a complaint would probably get the next delivery or so through. I belive the scale of economics is against the franchised company. Increased Fuel costs, a diminishing customer base and Rural Ireland deliveries. They are trying to cut costs as well as increase capacity.

I have had this at least 6 or 7 times over the past 12 months.

I will repost after the next failed delivery and follow up complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Also complain to the company sending you the goods, they are paying for this service and I don't think they will be too amused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Considering you are paying for delivery to your address, I don't see how it is acceptable that they cheap out on their end of the deal by doing whatever is convenient to them and putting you to the effort (and possible extra cost) of going out of your way to collect it from wherever they decide to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I just ordered something from Amazon and they use UPS. I was checking the status of my delivery and it said delivered to a name I didn't recognize.

I phoned them up and they told me they use a third party courier to deliver in that area. After an hour I get a call back saying they had delivered to my next door neighbour. Neighbour out so can't pick up package now :rolleyes:

What pissed me off majorly was there no note put through the door. The courier is relying 100% on the honesty of my neighbour to say they have received it and give it to me...

Bad form. Will be emailing amazon to let them know about this practice... Fair enough if I had agreed with courier but that wasn't the case. My next door neighbours could be thieving scum for all he knew!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

I started using Loc8 Codes (formerly PON codes) about 2 years back and haven't had an issue with any courier since. I use them all the time now for collections and deliveries from various Irish addresses, rural and urban, without a single problem.

Even stuff sent with DHL and UPS from Amazon arrive in the most awkward addresses, in West Cork and Donegal, without issue (even in xmas time) :)

Ireland seriously needs an official postcode system here, but for now Loc8 Codes work just fine any most couriers GPS system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That's interesting! how do you end up using your loc8 code on deliveries, as in where do you type it in on say an amazon address form? would you just put the code down or would you type something like "loc8 code: XXX-xx-Xxx"?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

That's interesting! how do you end up using your loc8 code on deliveries, as in where do you type it in on say an amazon address form? would you just put the code down or would you type something like "loc8 code: XXX-xx-Xxx"?

I put the code in at the postcode box on the address form in Amazon.

If its elsewhere with a courier I never used (or Just-eat.ie), I always refer to it as "Garmin/Loc8: xxx-xx-xxx"

Elsewhere an address format would be:

Mr Somebody
    123 Fake Street,
    Fake City,
    Co. Ahem
    XXX-XX-XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Xcellor wrote: »
    I just ordered something from Amazon and they use UPS. I was checking the status of my delivery and it said delivered to a name I didn't recognize.

I phoned them up and they told me they use a third party courier to deliver in that area. After an hour I get a call back saying they had delivered to my next door neighbour. Neighbour out so can't pick up package now :rolleyes:

What pissed me off majorly was there no note put through the door. The courier is relying 100% on the honesty of my neighbour to say they have received it and give it to me...

Bad form. Will be emailing amazon to let them know about this practice... Fair enough if I had agreed with courier but that wasn't the case. My next door neighbours could be thieving scum for all he knew!!

Have to say, when companies leave my packages/deliveries with my neighbor it really pisses me off, definitely a pet peeve of mine. As you say they know nothing about the neighbor, never mind your relationship with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

This drives me nuts...and its not just couriers..An Post do it too.

Its just delivery services being too lazy &cheap to do their job properly. they are relying on neighbours of people to accept other peoples parcels.

the other solution is that they leave the product on your doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

daheff wrote: »
    the other solution is that they leave the product on your doorstep.

You'd hate America then! Every parcel is left on door step. Arrived at my house there and there was over a grand worth of products sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can you get stuff delivered to your workplace? Or by the quote above are you saying you used to do this in your old job but the new company will not allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Some of the attitudes (mainly the drivers) of the delivery companies in Ireland are mindbogglingly ignorant. It's their job to deliver parcels, the convenience should be for the customer not the driver as he is being paid for a service.

Since we all pay the same for the parcel delivery why are some customers treated like a nuisance unless the are located conveniently in the middle of the drivers regular stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some of the attitudes (mainly the drivers) of the delivery companies in Ireland are mindbogglingly ignorant. It's their job to deliver parcels, the convenience should be for the customer not the driver as he is being paid for a service.
    It's their job to deliver loads of parcels. If they spend 3 hours looking for your house then the other people they are delivering to are being penalised. BTW it's not your fault it's the government's for not implementing a proper location/post code system
    Since we all pay the same for the parcel delivery why are some customers treated like a nuisance unless the are located conveniently in the middle of the drivers regular stops?

And if you paid the price of having a driver spending several hours looking for your home then you'd be on here giving out about how much the delivery is.

Delivery drivers are at the bottom of a long chain, they get paid F*&^ all for each delivery (you won't belief the prices I've heard some of the courier companies are now charging for mini's in Dublin). The longer they spend looking for houses the less money they earn.

If you want cheap fast deliveries you need to live in a biggish town even in some big towns addresses can be hard to find, otherwise you aren't going to get them.

The only way to for drivers to easily deliver to each house is if it's easy to find, you wouldn't believe the amount of people who can't give directions to their own home, which needs a better system of addressing than we currently have(See the link I posted)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread but this is related. If a company who was meant to deliver to your house, doesn't and as in the OP drops it to a shop miles away, but doesn't even tell you that it's there (a worker in the shop got our number and rang to say we had not one, but two parcels there), is it still just a complaint to the head office?
    We're getting quite fed up with it. We don't mind them ringing for directions, fair enough but nearly every parcel we get delivered, we get the same excuse "oh we don't have a delivery out that way so we're just gonna leave it in such and such a place". Uh, yeah you do have a delivery out this way. In fact, we've only ever had a parcel delivered to our house once, and the courier was obviously irritated that he had to deliver to our house. The rest argue and argue until you get fed up and tell them to leave it somewhere. Recently, they've started leaving parcels somewhere and not telling us until afterwards that it's there. This, however, is rather too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I hate to sound like I'm being cheeky, but, delivering to rural places is a nuisance. The couriers should really be allowed to add a large surcharge for deliveries outside of large built-up areas as it costs a lot more to deliver to these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not just delivery to rural locations, some delivery companies like An Post are complete crap when it involves some lazy tosser in the delivery van.

I worked for a multinational company (household name) which occupied a large office building on a public road in D4. The location was open and permanently manned Mon-Fri 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and the name of the company was clearly displayed outside the building.

I ordered an item from Amazon UK and gave my work address for the delivery. Amazon told me that the An Post driver 'failed to make contact' and the package was sent back to the UK :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not just deliveries to rural areas. In Dublin suburbs- An Post don't even bother trying to deliver- they just throw a 'your parcel can be collected from the sorting office' form in the door and run (without ringing the doorbell at all). If you complain- they will insist they rang the bell and no-one was home. I accidentally walked into one of them about to put a note through my door during the week- and he sheepishly admitted he didn't even have the parcel in the van. I have to take time off to go to collect from the sorting office- which is miles away. I paid to have stuff delivered to my home address (as I've been at home toilet training my kiddies for the past forthnight- my version of a staycation). Its not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

The long and short of it is, if we had postcodes in ireland then delivering would be easy.. simple as

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vertico wrote: »
    The long and short of it is, if we had postcodes in ireland then delivering would be easy.. simple as

No it isn't, simple as.
    Couriers don't like delivering off the beaten track.
    Even in urban areas, An Post lie about trying to deliver registered items/packages/parcels- and pop their 'We tried to deliver to you' in your door- even when you're at home.
    Post codes aren't going to make one iota of difference to lazy couriers and/or An Post delivery people. Not one iota. I don't understand why you imagine it'll have any impact whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread but this is related. If a company who was meant to deliver to your house, doesn't and as in the OP drops it to a shop miles away, but doesn't even tell you that it's there (a worker in the shop got our number and rang to say we had not one, but two parcels there), is it still just a complaint to the head office?
    We're getting quite fed up with it. We don't mind them ringing for directions, fair enough but nearly every parcel we get delivered, we get the same excuse "oh we don't have a delivery out that way so we're just gonna leave it in such and such a place". Uh, yeah you do have a delivery out this way. In fact, we've only ever had a parcel delivered to our house once, and the courier was obviously irritated that he had to deliver to our house. The rest argue and argue until you get fed up and tell them to leave it somewhere. Recently, they've started leaving parcels somewhere and not telling us until afterwards that it's there. This, however, is rather too far.
    Ring the sender of the goods and tell them the goods were not delivered! Also tell that shop to refuse any deliveries addressed to you.

No it isn't, simple as.
    Even in urban areas, An Post lie about trying to deliver registered items/packages/parcels- and pop their 'We tried to deliver to you' in your door- even when you're at home.
    Post codes aren't going to make one iota of difference to lazy couriers and/or An Post delivery people. Not one iota. I don't understand why you imagine it'll have any impact whatsoever.

The currently planned post codes won't make the slightest difference to deliveries, as it's post sorting system not a location based system . But if we jumped from the 19th to the 21st century we could have excellent location based "post codes" which would enable companies to put all their deliveries into a system and it'd plot the most efficient route to deliver the items. With the current and planned systems they can't do this so deliveries to anywhere put large urban centres will always be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

I had this problem on a number of occasions and have made a complaint to both the delivery company and the company that i purchased the product from. Seek a full refund on the basis that the delivery company did not fulfil their contract. I got a full refund however i did have to lodge a case with the small claims court before they paid up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

No it isn't, simple as.

I'd agree they wouldn't make it easier, but they would allow companies to be able to price a delivery more appropriately, perhaps then it might be worth their while delivering to an out of the way destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

jahalpin wrote: »
    I hate to sound like I'm being cheeky, but, delivering to rural places is a nuisance. The couriers should really be allowed to add a large surcharge for deliveries outside of large built-up areas as it costs a lot more to deliver to these areas.
    Are couriers regulated in their pricing? I wasn't aware of any restrictions.

No Pants wrote: »
    Are couriers regulated in their pricing? I wasn't aware of any restrictions.

They aren't, but since they usually can't find an address before they leave the depot they don't know how long it'll take to deliver. If they knew it'd take 10 min to get a package from the depot to my home they can charge me €xx, if it takes them 3 hours to deliver to your address it'd be a bigger amount. Currently both deliveries are charged the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Del2005 wrote: »
    They aren't, but since they usually can't find an address before they leave the depot they don't know how long it'll take to deliver. If they knew it'd take 10 min to get a package from the depot to my home they can charge me €xx, if it takes them 3 hours to deliver to your address it'd be a bigger amount. Currently both deliveries are charged the same.
    By that point it's too late as I presume they've already charged the sender. The recipient should still get the delivery.

No Pants wrote: »
    By that point it's too late as I presume they've already charged the sender. The recipient should still get the delivery.

Yes they've already charged the sender. But they've no idea how much it will cost, in time and diesel, to get to the location. With a proper location based "post code" system, when you place your order the system will be able to calculate the distance and work out the actual cost to the delivery company. So packages to rural locations will be more expensive than to a large town close by.

The main advantage of a proper location based "post codes" is that delivery companies will be able to plan delivery routes better so should be able to reduce the cost of delivering by utilising their vehicles better.

Advertisement