Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever made a massive romantic gesture? (even a big one?)

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard stories, and watched movies, and sometimes read a book which may include a paragraph or two, of somebody making an ass (depending on your point of view) of themselves over the person that they love.

Has anyone on Boards ever done that?

I'm sure i haven't, but then, i haven't ever met anyone that i would do such a thing for, yet.

I have jokingly serenaded a girl (I have a terrible voice, and know it.) outside our hotel once, when i was drunk as drunk could be, but that was drunken antics, and probably not a romantic gesture..

Is it even done anymore, or was it ever? Just myth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Flew to California on a whim to tell the ex I still loved her. Arrived with little money to keep myself, hoping that she'd put me up. Instead, she'd buggered off to Tahoe for the weekend. I ended up having to bunk down at the gaff of another ex, who thought I'd flown all that way to see her instead.
    It all ended extremely badly.
    These days, I send flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Flew to California on a whim to tell the ex I still loved her. Arrived with little money to keep myself, hoping that she'd put me up. Instead, she'd buggered off to Tahoe for the weekend. I ended up having to bunk down at the gaff of another ex, who thought I'd flown all that way to see her instead.
    It all ended extremely badly.
    These days, I send flowers.

The flowers sound like a safer (not to mention far less expensive) option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I camped outside a girls house for two weeks once.

Got away with a caution.

I camped outside a girls house for two weeks once.

Got away with a caution.

Such a fine line between romantic and stalking. :rolleyes:

Neadine wrote: »
    Such a fine line between romantic and stalking. :rolleyes:
    Brad Pitt camps outside your house it's romance.

I camp outside your house it's a restraining order.

Romance is bollocks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

flew a girl to amsterdam for a surprise and brought her to a diamond factory
    she's mrs tigger now

Ahhh, so cynical

Ahhh, so cynical
    Na, just old and wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Girl sees dress.
    Out of stock.
    I get one taxied down from London (about 250 miles) at great expense.

Didn't end well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ahhh, so cynical

Benajamin Button (Brad Pitt Backwards man) didn't end so well either, did it?

Can't remember saw it once, Defnitely wasn't good in the middle..

.. Uh oh just thinkin.. was that the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

MadsL wrote: »
    Girl sees dress.
    Out of stock.
    I get one taxied down from London (about 250 miles) at great expense.

Didn't end well either.

I wonder did you fall for the same thing I did? I was with a girl in China once and we went shopping for one of those silk dresses. The salesgirl took one look at her (perfectly normal for a Westerner) body shape and said "Ah, you want extra EXTRA large!"
    Cue stomping out of shop, plenty of upset, all my fault, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I wrote a really god awful love poem once. Sent it and everything :o Thankfully it didn't get rubbed in my face. We're still going out now so it's all good. Apparently my poetry isn't awful enough to drive someone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I arrived at the door half steamed with a six pack, a pizza and a few rubbers in my back pocket as a "sorry for being a dickhead" peace offering.

As romantic as I'll ever get I'm afraid!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Made breakfast in bed and surprised her with it, all she did was ask who I was and how I got into her house

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

1ZRed wrote: »
    I arrived at the door half steamed with a six pack, a pizza and a few rubbers in my back pocket as a "sorry for being a dickhead" peace offering.

What an optimistic world I live in. My first though was of a shirtless god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Myself and my boyfriend were heading into town for the day, when I said we'd do our own thing for an hour. I collected a pre-packed overnight bag from my job, and went to a swanky hotel I had secretly booked. I knew he was in that area of town, so I text him saying "Room 123 in X hotel" and when he arrived, I greeted him in sexy undies, no talking! Had dinner booked in a restaurant that night and stuff. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I planned a big surprise for proposing to my now wife.

Started planning about 6 months beforehand, I wanted to take her to Antwerp to buy the ring.

I called her boss and asked her if she could take a Friday and the following Monday off and got that all cleared, then booked the flights and hotel.

I made her a nice meal and had candles all laid out around the apartment then got down on one knee and proposed and told her to pack her bags as were off to Antwerp in the morning to buy the ring, she didn't see it coming at all!

That's the romantic part! here's the funny parts of nearly getting caught

I didn't know the name of her boss, so when I started asking what her name was I was like oh whats her second name is she any relative of so and so....

I was checking my credit card statement online and had price of flights and hotel on the screen and she walks into the room queue panic stricken me attempting to close an internet window.

The date I had planned to propose she only goes and invites a friend around for dinner and to sleep over as they live so far away. I had to get the friends phone number and call and tell them I was planning a surprise and could they come the previous night.

When I was finishing up in work on my last day (we both worked in Dun Laoghaire at the time) she finishes before me and comes to pick me up I had just finished telling a customer about the whole ordeal and as the customer leaves she shouts enjoy your holiday right in front of her

I had planned to make a nice meal and have her favorite bottle of wine ready for when she got home on D day but she only went and made the same meal the day before for the friend coming over. I'm not the greatest cook in the world so I didn't know what else to make!

Her favorite wine? Sold out everywhere, apparently some scumbag stole the entire container for the country from Dublin port (how do you even do that?)

It was raining on D day I had the day off to get everything set, she asked if I could come and pick her up as she had a really **** day (boss hounding her as she knew she was off for a couple of days) also it was raining, I had loads of candles lit so couldn't leave for fear of burning the house down so told her no.

Also she was to hungover from the previous night to drink so she doesn't want a drink, meanwhile I'm sculling the wine for dutch courage!

Finally asked the question told her about Antwerp and she doesn't believe me I had to produce tickets and she needed to call work to confirm also she is the queen of planning so telling her to pack her bags as shes going somewhere tomorrow didn't sit well with her she didn't speak to me for an hour except to perhaps throw a little abuse at me and I quote a couple of my favorite lines

"You're lucky I have clean underwear for this trip"

"I don't even know what the weather is like in Antwerp what do I even pack?"

Well worth it for the memory in my opinion, and has provided a great story!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Never made any big ones but the one time I did a normal gesture I thought I'd be nice and surprise the girlfriend with some flowers.

"What are these for, what did you do?"

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

ElleEm wrote: »
    Myself and my boyfriend were heading into town for the day, when I said we'd do our own thing for an hour. I collected a pre-packed overnight bag from my job, and went to a swanky hotel I had secretly booked. I knew he was in that area of town, so I text him saying "Room 123 in X hotel" and when he arrived, I greeted him in sexy undies, no talking! Had dinner booked in a restaurant that night and stuff. Good times!

I read this thinking I was in the "mistaken identity" thread.

Actually, it was kinkier that way! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Every Valentines day, as a special treat to my long suffering Mrs, I make my own breakfast.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Made breakfast in bed and surprised her with it, all she did was ask who I was and how I got into her house

That's gratitude for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Bought a girl westlife tickets. Only big deal when you factor in we were in China I was going back to Ireland and her to the states.

That and I then had to sit through westlife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I once slept on the wet patch on our anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mick ah

Rode her and bought her a bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Before we were married, I drove from Dublin to Belfast (she was in Queens) on Valentines evening to deliver her a dozen roses. I had to head back down pretty much straight away but it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

1ZRed wrote: »

But no lube. Says a lot.

I arrived to an ex's with a bottle of wine and flowers, only to discover she was pretending to be out. I got mugged later on that night too, happy days. These days I avoid passive-aggressive women.

So no, no romantic gestures. I'm sexy anyway, romance isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I sometimes leave postits with little sayings of endearment like " your great etc " on them everywhere around the house.
    She told me to stop as it was causing her to be late for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

No one's ever made a romantic gesture for me. No one's ever even bought me flowers, not even on Valentine's Day.

Here I'm away off to cry in the corner. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Once went on a date on top of a car park in Dublin eating take away sushi on my car cause the view was nice :cool: but it was doomed from the start she was moving to Ozz so....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

No one's ever made a romantic gesture for me. No one's ever even bought me flowers, not even on Valentine's Day.

Here I'm away off to cry in the corner. :(

I was going to say looks aren't everything but let's face it, that's just a reassurance myth spread around by good looking bastards like me.

Advertisement