Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire regulations internal lining timber

Options
  • 09-04-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

Is there any building regulation restriction on use of timber cladding (Class 3 (National) material) to interior of living area on wall/ ceiling of dwelling.

Part B requires that:

Part of the surface of a wall in a room may be of a class lower than specified in 2.1, (but not
    lower than Class D - s3, d2 (European) or Class 3 (National)) if the area of that part (or, if there are two or more such parts, the total area of those parts) does not exceed, the lesser of the following -
    (i) half the floor area of the room, or
    (ii) 20 m2

Thats fine so far -that tells me that I can have 20m2 or half floor area in timber internal cladding.

but then the regs seem to contradict this by saying:

In the case of a wall surface in a building of Purpose Group 1, 2, or 5 the area of that part should not exceed 5 m 2 and should be separated from any other such part by a distance of not less than 2 m

which would suggest to me that I can only have 5m2 of a class 3 material (i.e. timber).

I am unsure which should be the case 20m2 or 5m2????

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

DAVIDLE wrote: »
    Hi all

Is there any building regulation restriction on use of timber cladding (Class 3 (National) material) to interior of living area on wall/ ceiling of dwelling.

Part B requires that:

Part of the surface of a wall in a room may be of a class lower than specified in 2.1, (but not
    lower than Class D - s3, d2 (European) or Class 3 (National)) if the area of that part (or, if there are two or more such parts, the total area of those parts) does not exceed, the lesser of the following -
    (i) half the floor area of the room, or
    (ii) 20 m2

Thats fine so far -that tells me that I can have 20m2 or half floor area in timber internal cladding.

but then the regs seem to contradict this by saying:

In the case of a wall surface in a building of Purpose Group 1, 2, or 5 the area of that part should not exceed 5 m 2 and should be separated from any other such part by a distance of not less than 2 m

which would suggest to me that I can only have 5m2 of a class 3 material (i.e. timber).

I am unsure which should be the case 20m2 or 5m2????

thanks

Purpose groups are not the same thing as class of materials
    Please read part b again

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DAVIDLE

Im fully aware of that.

Any other advise from anybody?
    thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,154 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

total unprotected area in a room should not exceed 20 m2 but:

no area of cladding shall be more than 5m2 in total and then separated from the next area by at least 2m

so 4 x 5m2 'panels' can be used as long as they are separated by at least 2m

Thanks Syd.
    seems to mean that the idea of a timber paneled interior is a complete 'no-no.'

I have always wondered how timbered paneled pubs/ holiday chalets can comply???

• Subscribers Posts: 41,154 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

DAVIDLE wrote: »
    Thanks Syd.
    seems to mean that the idea of a timber paneled interior is a complete 'no-no.'

I have always wondered how timbered paneled pubs/ holiday chalets can comply???

you can treat the wood so that it has accepetable fire spread performance.

google impregnated fire treatment.

• Advertisement

thanks again Syd.
    problem solved.

Advertisement