Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idle engine + brake pump = engine nearly conks

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Howdy all,

So i have a 99 Almera, lovely car.

I've noticed recently that if the car is running idle, and i pump on the brake, the rev counter gets really low, to the point that if i kept at it i'm sure the engine would conk out.

As well if i turn of the heater, the rev counter goes down and the engine struggles a tiny bit.

I serviced it about 3 months ago, 4 new spark plugs, oil, oil filter. I'm almost 100% sure it was running fine after that, but can't rule out the possibility that i mucked something up.

It's still as reliable as always, goes up the dual carraige way with no trouble, quick, and heats up quick enough. Clutch is fine, as is the gearbox, no weird noises coming from them. No weird knocks or bumps coming from it.

Any idea's? Could it just be a tuning issue? I mean the engine is 14 years old.

Maybe a loose connection somewhere? maybe a loose seal?:confused::confused::confused:

Any idea's would be great!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I revs dropping when you press the brake could be a vacuum issue but together with the other issues it sounds like you may have an electrical issue.

What car/engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

What car/engine is it?

It's a 1999 Nissan Almera, N15, Phase 2, 4 door saloon, with a 1.4GA14DE Engine. I think it's down as the sport model in the log book =/

Well i was also thinking electrical, but i put on the full lights, and pumped the brake, and even though the revs were dropping, the lights didn't dim at all. i assume that's a good thing...?

Where would be the best place to check for a vacuum seal problem? Should i just check all the pipes going in and around the enigine? I'm almost sure nothing is leaking, as i'd have seen it on the driveway. But that's not to say air isn't getting in somewhere.

I suppose i should just bring it to a garage, but i'm skint, and i'm pretty curious about what's causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Its an N14 id say, might be just the case that its ticking over a little too low. What revs is it ticking over all with no load on the engine/battery???

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

id say the car is just idling to low or the battery could be going as the heater usually draws the most current from the battery

Advertisement