Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla Verso petrol Or Estate diesel

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

HI,

have a 2005 corolla verso, petrol 1.6

kids are a little bigger so dont need as much nappy/bottle etc space. still want a bigger boot for access, rather than saloon.

thinking of selling it privately, and looking for an estate, something like a VW Passat. Just wondering would you still need to be doing lot of mileage for a diesel ?

looking at a 2009 diesel, 2l passat. Currently i only average 8-10k, KM a year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If doing such low mileage what benefits or savings do you think you can get from running a diesel? Have you done any calculations on how long it would take you to make back the premium paid to trade up to a diesel car compared to buying a similar petrol car?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

bazz26 wrote: »
    If doing such low mileage what benefits or savings do you think you can get from running a diesel? Have you done any calculations on how long it would take you to make back the premium paid to trade up to a diesel car compared to buying a similar petrol car?

I'm just trying to fimd out if i need to be doing higher mileage to make a diesel worth while.
    Verso is 1.6 petrol and can be thirsty. i would rather an estate than a saloon as i need easy access to boot.
    I haven't done any calculations, as i'm looking for advice from posters that might know more than me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

scuby wrote: »
    I'm just trying to fimd out if i need to be doing higher mileage to make a diesel worth while.
    Verso is 1.6 petrol and can be thirsty. i would rather an estate than a saloon as i need easy access to boot.
    I haven't done any calculations, as i'm looking for advice from posters that might know more than me

I understand that but my point was that you have to consider the cost difference in buying a petrol estate compared to a similar diesel estate and see how long it would take you at your annual mileage to claw back the difference in price when it comes to filling at the pump. There is more to buying a diesel than saving a few cent at the pump. At your low annual mileage I would not think that fuel costs are a major deciding factor for you.

For example, there is a 2009 Passat estate petrol for sale and a 2009 Passat diesel estate for sale and the diesel model is costing you €4k more to buy than the petrol model. If only doing 8k/9k km per year it will take you nearly an eternity to get that €4k difference back through fill ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

diesel as it,ll have better resale value in a few yrs or come trade in time.
    recently changed the mothers car and got it hard to shift being a petrol and so went with diesel this time just for the better resale easier trade in yrs to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

recently changed the mothers car and got it hard to shift being a petrol and so went with diesel this time just for the better resale easier trade in yrs to come.

The reason why it has a better resale value is because the diesel costs more to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

You will also have to account for far higher repair costs moving from a Corolla Verso to a diesel Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

thanks for all the replies.
    looks like i will be better off with a petrol for the mileage i'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

This is very true and in most filling stations I see, diesel is 10 cent cheaper per litre, on top of the fact that €70 in a diesel car should return much more miles/klms than €70 in a petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Paddy1951

I think I would still go for the diesel better for sale again and you will get way more miles per gl I know you can get lovely top Audi BMW etc cheap but they would rob..you would see the hand going back especially on short runs .and nobody wants them when you want to sell again but make sure you get what you want ,good luck, paddy51

Advertisement